X-ray diffraction study of the oxidation of Ni3(Al, Ti) alloys
- 25 Downloads
A study was made of the phase composition of the scale forming on Ni3(Al + 15 at.% Ti) and Ni3(Al + 5 at.%Ti) alloys during atmospheric oxidation at temperatures ranging from 600 to 1000°C. The scale was found to contain the oxides NiO, TiO2 (rutile),γ-Al2O3, NiO · TiO2, NiO · Al2O3, Ti3O5, and Ti2O3 together with Ni and a nickel base solid solution (Niss). The character of the distribution of these phase constituents in successive scale layers after oxidation under various conditions is described. A correlation was found between the phase composition of the scale and certain kinetic oxidation characteristics of the alloys.
KeywordsOxidation TiO2 Nickel Al2O3 Solid Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. P. Arbuzov and V. G. Chuprina, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorgan. Mat.,1, No. 7, 1121 (1965).Google Scholar
- 2.M. P. Arbuzov and V. G. Chuprina, Poroshkovaya Met., No. 5 (1974).Google Scholar
- 3.N. W. Taylor, J. Phys. Chem.,B-9, No. 4/5 (1930).Google Scholar
- 4.V. N. Eremenko, Titanium and Its Alloys [in Russian], Izd-vo Akad. Nauk UkrSSR, Kiev (1960).Google Scholar
- 5.Index to the X-Ray Powder Data File, American Society for Testing Materials (1959).Google Scholar
- 6.A. S. Bai, D. I. Lainer, et al., Oxidation of Titanium and Its Alloys [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.M. P. Arbuzov and V. G. Chuprina, Izv. VUZ. Fiz., No. 12, 92 (1971).Google Scholar
- 8.O. Kubaschewski and B. E. Hopkins, Oxidation of Metals and Alloys, Butterworth, London (1953).Google Scholar
- 9.D. V. Ignatov and R. D. Shamgunova, Mechanism of Oxidation of Nickel and Chromium Base Alloys [in Russian], Izd-vo Akad. Nauk SSSR, Moscow (1960).Google Scholar
- 10.V. Ya. Markiv, Summary of Candidate's Dissertation [in Russian], Lvov (1966).Google Scholar
- 11.M. Kh. Karapetyants and M. L. Karapetyants, Principal Thermodynamic Constants of Inorganic and Organic Substances [in Russian], Khimiya, Moscow (1968).Google Scholar