Sizeable deactivation effect for the 1,3-butadiene hydrogenation on vapor-deposited Pd aggregates on graphite
- 61 Downloads
The catalytic activity of Pd aggregates vapor-deposited on graphite has been measured in the 1,3-butadiene hydrogenation. It is generally decreasing with particle size. But, such a decrease is largely depending upon the hydrogen and the hydrocarbon pressure. Indeed, with low hydrocarbon pressure (about 1 Torr) and in presence of large excess of hydrogen (Ph2/Pc4h6=100) the activity of the smaller aggregates is comparable to that of larger particles. The different behaviour is consequently attributed to a size dependent deactivation. Such a deactivation could be due to carbon deposits generated by dehydrogenation of the diene admolecules. This behaviour is tentatively related with marked differences observed by XPS on the smaller aggregates, both with respect to the core level energies and to the density of states into the valence band.
KeywordsDeactivation supported Pd vapor-deposited aggregates 1,3-butadiene hydrogenation reaction XPS binding energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.P. Boitiaux, J. Cosyns and S. Vasudevan, Appl. Catal. 6 (1983) 41.Google Scholar
- V. De Gouveia, B. Bellamy, Y. Hadj Romdhane, A. Masson and M. Che, Z. Phys. D 12 (1989) 587.Google Scholar
- B. Tardy, C. Noupa, C. Leclercq, J.C. Bertolini, A. Hoareau, M. Treilleux, J.P. Faure and G. Nihoul, J. Catal. 129 (1991) 1.Google Scholar
- Yu.A. Ryndin, M.V. Stenin, A.I. Borinin, B.I. Bukhtiyarov and V.I. Zaikovskii, Appl. Catal. 54 (1989) 277.Google Scholar
- J. Massardier, J.C. Bertolini and A. Renouprez,Proc. 9th Int. Congr. on Catalysis, Vol. 3, eds. M.J. Phillips and M. Ternan (Chem. Inst. of Canada, Ottawa, 1988) p. 1222.Google Scholar
- M.G. Mason, Phys. Rev. B 27 (1983) 748.Google Scholar
- S. Kohiki and S. Ikeda, Phys. Rev. B 34 (1986) 3786.Google Scholar
- W.F. Egelhoff, Surf. Sci. Rep. 6 (1987) 253.Google Scholar
- H. Jobic and A. Renouprez, J. Less, Common Met. 129 (1987) 311.Google Scholar
- L. Porte, M. Phaner, C. Noupa, B. Tardy and J.C. Bertolini, Ultramicroscopy 42–44 (1992) 1355.Google Scholar