The Italian North-South GPS Traverse and a proposal for a “first order” Italian geoidal net
- 36 Downloads
Some time ago it was agreed to set up a European GPS Traverse from Tromsö (Norway) to Syracuse (Sicily), to improve the definition of the European geoid.
An outline of the Italian portion of this Traverse is summarized here, with special reference to the sections from the Brenner Pass to Taranto — carried out in 1989 — and for those from Taranto to Syracuse-Noto, recently completed.
The observing procedures and results are reported here. A comparison with the results of the ITALGEO '90 geoid, and a tentative profile of the Italian geoid along the whole traverse are also sketched.
Furthermore, a net of similar traverses, a “first order geoidal net” in Italy is proposed, in order to support the existing and new geoid determinations. In such a way a sub-decimetric accuracy in the Italian GPS derived orthometric heights may probably be achieved
KeywordsGeoidal Undulation Orthometric Height Ellipsoidal Height Gravimetric Geoid Geoid Determination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arca, S.; Balestri, R.; Barbarella, M.; Betti, B.; Birardi, G.; Caprioli, M.; Manzoni, C.; Marchesini, C.; Palla,B.; Zambon, G. (1989) The Italian North-South GPS Traverse. Operational results in the portion Brenner-Taranto — Meeting of the SIFET Study Group on the Movements of the Soil, Bologna.Google Scholar
- Benciolini, B.; Manzino, A.; Sansò,F.; Sguerso,D. (1991) ITALGEO '90: the Italian gravimetric geoid. Presented at the XVI General Assembly of the IUGG, GM 3/4, Vienna.Google Scholar
- Birardi, G. (1987) Final report on the activity of the SSG n.3.88 of the IAG, etc. Proc. of the XVI General Assembly of the IUGG, Vancouver.Google Scholar
- Birardi, G. (1989) Il contributo italiano all'impresa EUREF-GPS — Atti dell’ 8° Convegno del Gruppo Nazionale Geofisica della Terra Solida, Roma.Google Scholar
- Landau, H. (1990) Precise GPS positioning with the Multistation — Multisession software TOPAS — Cahiers du Centre Européen de Géodynamique et de Séis mologie, vol. 2.Google Scholar
- Meeting of the IAG SSG n. 3.88 Paris (1984). Recom mendations n. 7 and 10.Google Scholar
- Van Twembeke, U. (1990) Reflexions on height networks and geoid modelling — Cahiers du Centre Européen de Géodynamique et de Séismologie, vol. 2, 1990.Google Scholar