Changes in the tissue blood flow in the rabbit brain after burn, acute radiation, and combined injuries
- 11 Downloads
The tissue blood flow of the brain was determined in experiments on rabbits with the aid of xenon-133 after severe burns affecting 20% of the body surface, whole-body x-ray irradiation in a dose of 900 rad, and combined exposure to both factors. The cerebral blood flow was found to be reduced by a lesser degree in burns than the minute volume of the heart (on the average by 20–30% and 50%, respectively). In combined trauma the decrease in the cerebral blood flow was the same as with isolated burns or radiation injury. The authors suggest that a greater decrease in the cerebral blood flow is incompatible with life. The results are evidence of the existence of compensatory mechanisms aimed at maintaining the cerebral blood flow despite a fall in the minute volume of the heart.
Key Wordsbrain tissue blood flow burns and combined radiation and burn injury
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. V. Voloshin, in: Proceedings of a Symposium on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Burn Shock [in Russian], Khar'kov (1969), p. 33.Google Scholar
- 2.V. P. Lapshin, in: Proceedings of a Symposium on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Burn Shock [in Russian], Khar'kov (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.G. D. Leshchenko and P. V. Voloshin, in: Proceedings of a Symposium on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Burn Shock [in Russian], Khar'kov (1969).Google Scholar
- 4.N. N. Livshits, Z. I. Apanasenko, V. Ya. Klimovitskii, et al., Uspekhi Sovr. Biol.,67, No. 2, 261 (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.R. M. Lyubimova-Gerasimova, Radiobiologiya,21, No. 1, 82 (1962).Google Scholar
- 6.L. L. Stazhadze, M. V. Vasmanova, and B. V. Chetvertushkin, in: The Reaction in Clinical Emergency Surgery and Traumatology [in Russian], Moscow (1970), p. 90.Google Scholar
- 7.S. S. Kety, in: Neurochemistry, Springfield (1955), p. 294.Google Scholar
- 8.S. S. Kety, Pharmacol. Rev.,3, 1 (1951).Google Scholar
- 9.N. Veall and B. Z. Mallet, Phys. Med. Biol.,10, 375 (1965).Google Scholar
- 10.K. L. Zierler, Circulat. Res.,16, 309 (1965).Google Scholar
- 11.M. D. Hoedt-Rasmussen, E. Sveinsdottir, et al., Circulat. Res.,18, 237 (1966).Google Scholar