High-temperature strength of TiC and ZrC specimens prepared by different techniques
- 47 Downloads
The strength of TiC and ZrC specimens of various porosities was studied in the temperature range 300–3000°K.
The strength was found to exhibit a peak at 0.6–0.7 Tmelt, whose appearance is attributed to the transition of the materials investigated to the tough-brittle state.
The effect of specimen preparation technique on the mechanical properties of TiC and ZrC was established. It was found that, at any given porosity, the strength of slip-cast specimens is 30% higher than that of compacted specimens. It is therefore recommended that the technique of slip casting of refractory compounds should be used more widely in powder metallurgy.
KeywordsMechanical Property Porosity Powder Metallurgy Preparation Technique Specimen Preparation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. S. Ordan'yan and A. I. Avgustinik, Abstracts of Papers Presented to a Scientific-Technical Conference of Young Scientists [in Russian], Goskhimizdat (1962).Google Scholar
- 2.V. T. Troshchenko, Poroshkovaya Met., No. 3 (1963).Google Scholar
- 3.V. K. Kharchenko and L. I. Struk, Poroshkovaya Met.,2, No. 8, 7 (1962).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Kelly and D. I. Rowcliffe, J. Am. Ceram. Soc.,50, No. 5, 31 (1967).Google Scholar
- 5.W. Williams, J. Appl. Phys.,35, 1329 (1964).Google Scholar