Some strength properties of graphite-zirconium carbide composite materials
- 28 Downloads
Some factors influencing the strength of composite materials were examined.
A study was made of the strength properties of graphite-zirconium carbide and graphite-zirconium carbide-zirconium composite materials having varying structures and compositions. It was found that, at 2500‡C, the tensile strength of TsG-25 type composite material is 30% higher than that of dense VPP constructional graphite.
It was established that, by varying the degree of impregnation of the zirconium phase with carbon, it is possible substantially to change the physicomechanical properties of the resultant composite material. At 20–2000‡C, the tensile and bend strengths of materials containing residual zirconium are 1.5–3 times those of materials containing the carbide phase alone.
KeywordsGraphite Zirconium Carbide Tensile Strength Composite Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. N. Grantsevich, Poroshkovaya Met., No. 2, 9 (1962).Google Scholar
- 2.S. G. Tresvyatskii, Poroshkovaya Met., No. 4, 63 (1968).Google Scholar
- 3.D. M. Darpinos and L. I. Tuchinskii, Poroshkovaya Met., No. 9, 85 (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.N. N. Dergunov and V. N. Barabanov, in: Graphite Base Constructional Materials [in Russian], Vol. 4 (1969), p. 97.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Mrozowski, First and Second Conferences on Carbon, Buffalo (1955), p. 31.Google Scholar
- 6.H. W. Davidson and H. H. Losty, Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Carbon (Buffalo, 1959), No. 4, Pergamon Press (1960), p. 585.Google Scholar
- 7.G. M. Genkins, J. Nucl. Mater.,5, 280 (1962).Google Scholar
- 8.D. M. Kolotilo, Poroshkovaya Met., No. 12, 45 (1968).Google Scholar
- 9.T. Ya. Kosolapova, Carbides [in Russian], Metallurgiya (1968).Google Scholar
- 10.V. K. Kharchenko and L. I. Struk, Poroshkovaya Met., No. 2 (1962).Google Scholar
- 11.V. T. Troshchenko, Inzh.-Fiz. Zh.,3, No. 1, 103 (1960).Google Scholar
- 12.V. T. Troshchenko, Poroshkovaya Met., No. 6, 62 (1961).Google Scholar
- 13.V. T. Troshchenko, Prooshkovaya Met., No. 10, 84 (1967).Google Scholar
- 14.N. Adam, The Physics and Chemistry of Surfaces [Russian translation], OGIZ, Moscow (1947).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Humenik, D. W. Hall, and R. L. Alster, Iron Age,10, 11 (1960).Google Scholar