Morphology of Ammon's horn of the rat hippocampus in tissue culture
- 18 Downloads
The principles of morphogenesis of Ammon's horn of the neonatal rat hippocampus in tissue culture (area CA1-2) were studied by light-optical and electron-microscopic methods. Analysis of 5-, 12-, and 21-day cultures revealed maturation of the hippocampal pyramidal cells in vitro, the development of a protein-synthesizing system, and synaptogenesis. The synchronous development of the synaptic structures, of the protein-synthesizing system of the cell, and of electrogenesis suggests that these are interconnected factors.
Key Wordsnerve tissue culture synaptogenesis protein-synthesizing system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. A. Gromova, A. R. Chubukov, and A. A. Nikonov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,221, 217 (1975).Google Scholar
- 2.M. B. Shtark, L. V. Voskresenskaya, A. S. Ratushnyak, et al., Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,202, 734 (1972).Google Scholar
- 3.M. B. Shtark, M. V. Starostina, L. V. Voskresenskaya, et al., Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,219, 1242 (1974).Google Scholar
- 4.J. C. Eccles, The Physiology of Synapses, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1964).Google Scholar
- 5.R. P. Bunge, M. B. Bunge, and E. R. Peterson, J. Cell Biol.,24, 163 (1965).Google Scholar
- 6.R. P. Bunge, M. B. Bunge, and E. R. Peterson, J. Cell Biol.,32, 439 (1967).Google Scholar
- 7.B. Zipser, M. B. Crain, and M. B. Bornstein Brain Res.,60, 484 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.H. R. Herschman, in: Current Topics in Neurobiology, Vol. 1, Tissue Culture of the Nervous System (ed. by G. Sato), New York (1973), p. 187.Google Scholar
- 9.S. U. Kim, Exp. Neurol.,41, 150 (1973).Google Scholar
- 10.J. H. La Vail and M. K. Wolf, Am. J. Anat.,137, 47 (1973).Google Scholar