Parachute-like sinus venosus remnant: Echocardiographic and pathological appearance
- 27 Downloads
A female infant with multiple congenital abnormalities and a right atrial “mass” on echocardiography is reported. Her general condition at birth was poor, and the chest x-ray showed cardiomegaly. Echocardiography demonstrated the usual atrial arrangement and concordant atrioventricular and ventriculoarterial connections with a mobile right atrial mass. Death occurred at 3 days of age and subsequent postmortem examination revealed a hollow, tube-like sinus venosus remnant mobile between right atrium and ventricle with numerous other abnormalities of the heart, including left heart hypoplasia and tubular hypoplasia of the aortic arch. Filling of the sinus venosus remnant with blood had resulted in an echocardiographic appearance suggestive of a right atrial tumor.
Key WordsCongenital heart disease Sinus venosus Parachute Echocardiography Multiple congenital anomalies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Battle-Diaz J, Stanley P, Kratz C, Fouron J-C, Guerin R, Davignon A (1979) Echocardiographic manifestations of persistence of the right sinus venosus valve.Am J Cardiol 43:850–853Google Scholar
- 2.Becker AE, Anderson RH (1981)Pathology of congenital heart disease. Butterworths, London, pp 63–66Google Scholar
- 3.Burech DL, Teske WT, Haynes RE (1977) Right atrial myxoma in a child.Am J Dis Child 131:750–752Google Scholar
- 4.Doucette J, Knoblich R (1963) Persistent right valve of the sinus venosus.Arch Pathol 75:105–112Google Scholar
- 5.Gerlis LM, Anderson RH (1976) Cor triatriatum dexter with imperforate Ebstein's anomaly.Br Heart J 38:108–111Google Scholar
- 6.Gussenhoven WJ, Essed CE, Bos E (1982) Persistent right sinus venosus valve.Br Heart J 47:183–185Google Scholar
- 7.Jones RM, Niles NR (1968) Spinnaker formation of the sinus venosus valve: A case report of a fatal anomaly in a 10 year old boy.Circulation 38:468–473Google Scholar
- 8.Lucas RV (1983) Anomalous venous connections, pulmonary and systemic. In: Adams FH, Emmanouilides GC (eds)Moss' heart disease in infants, children and adolescents 1983, 3rd ed. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore/London, pp. 458–491Google Scholar
- 9.Moore AL (1988)The developing human. Clinically oriented Embryology, 4th ed. WB Saunders. Philadelphia, pp 286–332Google Scholar