Production of thin fibers from powders
- 12 Downloads
Analytical expressions have been derived relating the thickness of powder fibers to the parameters of the shaping and sintering processes. A coefficient of fiber thinning, equal to the ratio between the diameter of the die apertures and of the fibers after sintering, has been chosen as a criterion for assessing the practical feasibility of obtaining thin fibers from powders. It is shown that the key processing parameters influencing the fiber thickness are the die aperture diameter, the powder content of the mixture, the relative change in length experienced by the fibers during processing, and the powder particle size.
KeywordsParticle Size Powder Particle Sinter Process Aperture Diameter Thin Fiber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. G. Kostornov, “Investigation of processes of production of and properties of fibers from metallic and nonmetallic powders and materials based on them,” Author's Abstract of Candidate's Dissertation, Kiev (1966).Google Scholar
- 2.G. V. Samsonov and V. E. Mazera, Powder Metall. Int.,5, No. 3, 133 (1973).Google Scholar
- 3.I. M. Fedorchenko, A. G. Kostornov, O. V. Kirichenko, and N. S. Guzhva, “Structure and properties of permeable fine-fiber materials produced from powders,” Poroshk. Metall., No. 9, 42–45 (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.I. M. Fedorchenko, A. G. Kostornov, O. V. Kirichenko, et al., “Some characteristic features of the production of extruded nickel fibers,” Poroshk. Metall., No. 2, 1–4 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.I. M. Fedorchenko, A. G. Kostornov, and O. V. Kirichenko, “Heat treatment of extruded corrosion- and oxidation-resistant alloy fibers and their strength properties,” Poroshk. Metall., No. 2, 1–5 (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.V. A. Rogovin, Principles of the Chemistry and Technology of Chemical Fibers [in Russian], Khimiya, Moscow (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.I. M. Fedorchenko, A. G. Kostornov, O. V. Kirichenko, and A. V. Perepelkin, “Some features of the sintering of nickel fibers extruded from viscose-base suspensions,” Poroshk. Metall., No. 6, 28–32 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.Encyclopedia of Polymers [in Russian], Vol. 3, Bol'shaya Sov. Éntsiklopediya, Moscow (1977), p. 352.Google Scholar
- 9.A. G. Kostornov, O. V. Kirichenko, and N. S. Guzhva, “Heat treatment of metal-filled cellulose felts and their strength properties,” Poroshk. Metall., No. 12, 26–30 (1981).Google Scholar