Ventricular fibrillation in two infants treated with amiodarone hydrochloride
- 21 Downloads
Antiarrhythmic agents may induce ventricular arrhythmias. Whereas amiodarone is a reported cause of ventricular fibrillation in children, there are no reported cases in infants. We observed two patients with atrial flutter and congestive heart failure who were treated with amiodarone. Both had anatomic heart defects and had failed conventional therapy. Ventricular fibrillation occurred 3 and 12 days after the initial dose. Q-T interval, electrolytes, digoxin level, and amiodarone level (one patient) were normal. Amiodarone may provoke life-threatening ventricular tachyarrhythmias during the convalescent period. Consideration should be given to monitoring in a hospital setting for at least 2 weeks following initiation of amiodarone therapy.
Key WordsAmiodarone hydrochloride Ventricular fibrillation Atrial flutter Infants
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bucknall CA, Keeton BR, Curry PV, et al (1986) Intravenous and oral amiodarone for arrhythmias in children.Br Heart J 56:278–284Google Scholar
- 2.Coumel P, Fidelle J (1980) Amiodarone in the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias in children: one hundred thirty-five cases.Am Heart J 100:1063–1069Google Scholar
- 3.Garson A, Gillette PC, McVey P, et al (1984) Amiodarone treatment of critical arrhythmias in chidren and young adults.J Am Coll Cardiol 4:749–755Google Scholar
- 4.Gillette PC, Zeigler V, Ross BA, Leman RB, Zinner AJ (1986) Amiodarone in children.Clin Prog Electrophysiol Pacing 4:328–330Google Scholar
- 5.Guccione P, Paul T, Garson A (1990) Long-term follow-up of amiodarone therapy in the young: continued efficacy, unimpaired growth, moderate side effects.J Am Coll Cardiol 15: 1118–1124Google Scholar
- 6.Herre JM, Bertrand AR (1990) Amiodarone in children: borrowing from the future?J Am Coll Cardiol 15:1125–1126Google Scholar
- 7.Hesslein PS, Costigan DC, Koren G, et al (1983) Oral amiodarone therapy in childhood early experience.Pediatr Cardiol 4:313Google Scholar
- 8.Kannan R, Yabek SM, Garson A, et al (1987) Amiodarone efficacy in a young population: relationship to serum Amiodarone and desethylamiodarone levels.Am Heart J 114:283–287 [abstract]Google Scholar
- 9.Mattioni TA, Zheutlin TA, Dunnington C, Kehoe RF (1989) The proarrhythmic effects of amiodarone.Prog Cardiovasc Dis 31:439–446Google Scholar
- 10.Rosenbaum MB, Chiale PA, Helpern MS (1976) Clinical efficacy of amiodarone as an antiarrhythmic agent.Am J Cardiol 38:934–944Google Scholar