Self-Ignition of a porous metal plate in an oxidizing atmosphere
- 12 Downloads
A formula is proposed for calculating the critical self-ignition temperature of a porous metal plate in an exothermic oxidation reaction obeying a parabolic law.
Experiments with Zr, Hf, and Ti specimens carried out with the aim of verifying the critical selfignition temperature formula yielded values showing good agreement with calculated T0 values.
KeywordsOxidation Atmosphere Oxidation Reaction Metal Plate Porous Metal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. M. Zlobinskii, V. G. Ioffe, and V. B. Zlobinskii, Self-Ignition and Toxicity of Metals and Alloys [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1972).Google Scholar
- 2.V. V. Nedin, O. D. Neikov, et al., Explosion Hazards with Metal Powders [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1971).Google Scholar
- 3.Clark and Hast, “Compatibility of constructional materials with oxygen,” Raketnaya Tekh. Kosmonavt.,12, No. 4, 127–148 (1974).Google Scholar
- 4.D. A. Frank-Kamenetskii, Diffusion and Heat Transfer in Chemical Kinetics, Plenum Publ. (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.V. I. Rozenband, “Self-ignition of a metal block and a metal plate in an oxidizing atmosphere,” Fiz. Goren. Vzryva, No. 2, 212–219 (1974).Google Scholar
- 6.P. Kofstad, High-Temperature Oxidation of Metals [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.V. I. Rozenband, V. A. Chichev, and L. F. Afanas'eva, “Self-ignition of some transition metals in a gaseous oxidizer,” Fiz. Goren. Vzryva, No. 1, 31 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.H. S. Carslaw and J. C. Jaeger, Conduction of Heats in Solids, Oxford Univ. Press (1959).Google Scholar
- 9.V. S. Vol'kenshtein, A Rapid Method of Determining the Thermophysical Characteristics of Materials [in Russian], Énergiya, Leningrad (1971).Google Scholar
- 10.B. V. Deryagin, N. N. Zakhavaeva, et al., Determination of the Specific Surface of Powdered Materials by Their Rarefied Air Filtration Resistance [in Russian], Izv. Akad Nauk SSSR, Moscow (1957).Google Scholar
- 11.I. M. Fedorchenko and R. A. Andrievskii, Principles of Powder Metallurgy [in Russian], Tzd. Akad. Nauk Ukr. SSR, Kiev (1961).Google Scholar
- 12.A Chemist's Handbook [in Russian], Vol. 2, Gos. Nauch.-Tekhnich. Tzd. Khim. Lit., Moscow-Leningrad (1962).Google Scholar
- 13.A. S. Bai, D. I. Lainer, et al., Oxidation of Titanium and Its Alloys [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1970).Google Scholar