Intraaortic balloon pump management of refractory congestive heart failure in children
- 42 Downloads
From December 1975 to September 1989, nine children, ages 0.6–15.8 years (mean=8.1 years) and weighing 5–44 kg (mean=24 kg), were identified as requiring intraaortic balloon pump support. Indications included ventricular failure refractory to maximal conventional therapy, inability to wean from cardiopulmonary bypass, and myocardial ischemia. Prior to insertion of the balloon catheter, mean systolic blood pressure was 64 mmHg, one to four cardiotonic medications were being administered, mechanical ventilation was being performed in eight patients, and mean urine output was 0.4 ml/kg/min in eight. Following balloon catheter insertion, mean urine output increased to 0.9 ml/kg/min. Four patients survived following discontinuation of the balloon catheter 12–96 h (mean=59 h) after initiation. Though complications such as loss of distal lower extremity pulses, sepsis, thrombocytopenia, and abdominal distention were observed, most could be attributed to other causes. Thus, the intraaortic balloon pump is a valuable addition to conventional medical therapy in the treatment of refractory cardiogenic shock in children.
Key WordsIntraaortic balloon pump Congestive heart failure Pediatrics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beckman CB, Geha AS, Hammond GL, Baue AE (1977) Results and complications of intraaortic balloon counter-pulsation.Ann Thorac Surg 24: 550–559Google Scholar
- 2.del Nido PJ, Swan PR, Benson LN, Bohn D, Charlton MC, Coles JG, Trusler GA, Williams WG (1988) Successful use of intraaortic balloon pumping in a 2-kilogram infant.Ann Thorac Surg 46: 574–576Google Scholar
- 3.Gottlieb SO, Brinker JA, Borkon AM, Kallman CH, Potter A, Gott VL, Baughman KL (1984) Identification of patients at high risk for complications of intraaortic balloon counterpulsation: A multivariate risk factor analysis.Am J Cardiol 53: 1135–1139Google Scholar
- 4.McEnany MT, Kay HR, Buckley MJ, Daggett WM, Erdman AJ, Mundth ED, Rao RS, DeToeuf J, Austen WG (1978) Clinical experience with intraaortic balloon pump support in 728 patients.Circulation 58(Suppl I): I—124—132Google Scholar
- 5.Pollock JC, Charlton MC, Williams WG, Edmonds JF, Trusler GA (1980) Intraaortic balloon pumping in children.Ann Thorac Surg 29: 522–528Google Scholar
- 6.Sutorius DJ, Majeski JS, Miller SF (1979) Vascular complications as a result of intra-aortic balloon pumping.Am Surg 45: 512–516Google Scholar
- 7.Veasey LG, Blalock RC, Orth JL, Boucek MM (1983) Intraaortic balloon pumping in infants and children.Circulation 68: 1095–1100Google Scholar
- 8.Webster H, Veasey G (1985) Intra-aortic balloon pumping in children.Heart Lung 14: 548–555Google Scholar