Abnormal right ventricular filling in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy
- 13 Downloads
Doppler echocardiograms of the tricuspid and mitral valves were recorded along with the electrocardiogram and respiration in six patients with dilated cardiomyopathy and 20 normal children. There was significant respiratory variation in right ventricular filling in the patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Four variables of early diastolic right ventricular filling increased with inspiration: the peak E velocity (mean increase 55%,p<0.05), the E/total area (mean increase 32%,p<0.001), the E/A area (mean increase 74%,p<0.001), and peak E/A ratio (mean increase 72%,p<0.01), whereas the peak A velocity did not change significantly and the A/total decreased (mean decrease 27%,p<0.001). Thus, abnormalities of right ventricular filling worsened during expiration and improved with inspiration. Inspiration enhances right ventricular venous return and thus improves indices of right ventricular filling in patients with cardiomyopathy.
Key WordsDilated cardiomyopathy Right ventricular filling Doppler echocardiograms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Appleton CP, Hatle LK, Popp RL (1988) Relation of transmitral flow velocity patterns to left ventricular diastolic function: New insights from a combined hemodynamic and Doppler echocardiographic study.J Am Coll Cardiol 12:426–440Google Scholar
- 2.Choong CY, Herrmann HC, Weyman AE, Fifer MA (1987) Pre-load dependence of Doppler-derived indices of left ventricular function in humans.J Am Coll Cardiol 10:800–808Google Scholar
- 3.Riggs TW, Snider AR (1989) Respiratory influence on right and left ventricular diastolic function in normal children.Am J Cardiol 63: 858–861, 1989Google Scholar
- 4.Riggs TW, Transue D (1990) Doppler echocardiographic evaluation of left ventricular function in adolescents with diabetes mellitus.Am J Cardiol 65:899–902Google Scholar
- 5.Riggs TW, Rodriguez R, Snider AR, Batton D, Pollack J Sharp EJ (1989) Neonatal right and left ventricular diastolic function assessed by Doppler echocardiography.J Am Coll Cardiol 13:700–705Google Scholar
- 6.Vanoverschelde JLJ, Raphael DA, Robert A, Cosyns JR (1990) Left ventricular filling in dilated cardiomyopathy: Relation to functional class and hemodynamics.J Am Coll Cordial 15:1288–1296Google Scholar
- 7.Zoghbi WA, Habib GB, Quinones MA (1990) Doppler assessment of right ventricular filling in a normal population.Circulation 82:1316–1324Google Scholar