Optical method of determining propellant surface temperature
- 30 Downloads
An apparatus has been designed for measuring the surface temperature of a burning powder by means of a sapphire light pipe.
An optical method of measuring the temperature of the combustion surface (reaction zone) of a powder by extracting the radiation with a sapphire light pipe has been developed.
The spectro-optical characteristics of powders have been determined over a broad interval of temperatures and wavelengths. Spectral “windows” that make it possible to use the radiation method of determining surface temperature have been discovered.
The surface temperature has been measured in a vacuum and at elevated pressures for the following compositions: N powder (ballistite), model mixture of ammonium perchlorate and fuel.
The fraction of radiant energy reaching the reaction zone from the fizz zone has been estimated.
KeywordsRadiation Ammonium Burning Dynamical System Mechanical Engineer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. F. Pokhil, Doctoral dissertation, Moscow, 1951.Google Scholar
- 2.P. F. Pokhil, in: Physics of Explosion [in Russian], no. 2, 1953.Google Scholar
- 3.P. F. Pokhil, L. D. Romodanova, and M. N. Belov, in: Physics of Explosion [in Russian], no. 3, 1955.Google Scholar
- 4.Klein, Mentser and Elbe, J. Phys. Chem., 54, 877, 1950.Google Scholar
- 5.Heller and Gordon, J. Phys. Chem., 59, 773, 1955.Google Scholar
- 6.Sabadell, Wenograd, and Summerfield, Raketnaya tekhnika i kosmonavtika, 9, 16, 1965.Google Scholar
- 7.A. A. Zenin, Candidate's dissertation, Moscow, 1962.Google Scholar
- 8.V. K. Bobolev, A. P. Glazkova, et al., PMTF, 3, 153, 1964.Google Scholar
- 9.Powling and Smith, J. Comb. Flame, 6, 173, 1962.Google Scholar
- 10.Powling and Smith, J. Comb. Flame, 6, 21, 1962.Google Scholar
- 11.Powling and Smith, J. Comb. Flame, 7, 269, 1963.Google Scholar
- 12.H. Selzer, Raketentechnik und Raumfahrtforschung, 2, 41, 1963.Google Scholar
- 13.P. F. Pokhil and A. E. Volnyanskii, et al., ZhFKh, 39, 5.Google Scholar