RNA content in neuron-neuroglia systems of the retina and visual cortex following light deprivation and photic stimulation
- 19 Downloads
Dual-beam cytospectrophotometric investigation of sections stained with gallocyanin and chrome alum showed that keeping adult rats in complete darkness for 30 days led to a decrease in the RNA content in the neuroglia of the ganglion-cell layer of the retina but no changes in the corresponding neuron. No changes were found either in neurons or in neuroglia of layers II–III of the visual cortex. At the end of light deprivation, stimulation by a steady light or by flashes for 2 h had no effect on the RNA content in the neurons of either of these parts of the visual system, whereas in control rats it evoked definite accumulation of RNA in the neurons. Qualitative changes in the metabolism of intracellular RNA in the nerve tissue of adult animals under the influence of light deprivation are emphasized. Differences in the biochemical properties of the neuron-neuroglia system depending of its location in the visual system are discussed.
Key wordsNeuron neuroglia retina cerebral cortex RNA light deprivation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. M. Aref'eva, E. I. Sankova, and L. S. Strochkova, Ontogenez, No. 1, 83 (1973).Google Scholar
- 2.V. Ya. Brodskii, Cell Nutrition [in Russian], Moscow (1966).Google Scholar
- 3.M. M. Busnyuk and Z. D. Pigareva, Zh. Nevropatol. Psikhiatr., No. 9, 1345 (1975).Google Scholar
- 4.E. L. Dovedova, N. N. Bogolepov, and A. S. Pushkin, Zh. Nevropatol. Psikhiatr., No. 7, 1070 (1973).Google Scholar
- 5.L. D. Malinauskaite, Tsitologiya, No. 1, 73 (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.L. Z. Pevzner, Functional Biochemistry of the Neuroglia [in Russian], Leningrad (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.V. Bigl, D. Biesold, and K. Weisz, J. Neurochem.,22, 505 (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.A. J. Dewar and A. K. Winterburn, J. Neurol. Sci.,20, 279 (1973).Google Scholar
- 9.G. Horn, S. P. Rose, and P. P. Bateson, Science,181, 506 (1973).Google Scholar
- 10.S. L. Manocha and A. A. Perachio, Histochemie,34, 217 (1973).Google Scholar
- 11.P. B. rosenberger and J. T. Ernest, Vision Res.,11, 199 (1971).Google Scholar