Chromosomal aberrations in cells of monkeys surviving acute radiation under chemical protection
- 10 Downloads
In the study of the frequency and type of chromosomal aberrations in bone marrow cells and peripheral blood lymphocytes of irradiated monkeys treated 5–10 min before irradiation with the protective compounds 5-methoxytryptamine and 2-aminoethanethiol, etc., showed that 9–10 years after γ-ray irradiation in doses of 600–650 R the percentage of aberrant chromosomes was significantly higher than the spontaneous level and was at the level of chromosomal changes observed in monkeys irradiated without the use of radioprotectors. In the late period after irradiation, the main type of aberration observed in all monkeys, including those receiving the radioprotectors, was symmetrical chromosomal exchanges.
Key wordsirradiation radioprotectors bone marrow chromosomal aberrations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. N. Aleksandrov, Vestn. Akad. Med. Nauk SSSR, No. 9, 11 (1965).Google Scholar
- 2.L. B. Berlin, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, No. 4, 998 (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.Z. A. Dzhemilev, L. D. Perepelkina, and M. G. Machavariani, Genetika, No. 9, 91 (1967).Google Scholar
- 4.N. P. Dubinin, M. A. Arsen'eva, and É. S. Kalyaeva, The Protective Effect of Cysteamine (β-Mercaptoethanolamine) on Chromosomal Aberrations in the Tissues of Monkeys and Mice [in Russian], Moscow (1960), p. 1.Google Scholar
- 5.L. G. Dubinina, Abstracts of Proceedings of the Eighth All-Union Congress of Roentgenologists and Radiologists [in Russian], Moscow (1964), p. 461.Google Scholar
- 6.L. P. Kosichenko, Genetika, No. 3, 105 (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.L. P. Kosichenko, Genetika, No. 12, 151 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.D. S. Markaryan and M. G. Machavariani, in: Medical Primatology [in Russian], Tbilisi (1967), p. 136.Google Scholar
- 9.N. L. Shmakova, “Quantitative analysis of radiation damage and chemical protection of the bone marrow,” Candidate's Dissertation, Moscow (1966).Google Scholar
- 10.S. P. Yarmonkenko, O. P. Ol'shevskaya, and N. L. Shmakova, Radiobiologiya, No. 1, 95 (1968).Google Scholar