Changes in the gas exchange during effort in patients after operations on the lung
The author studied the gas exchange, pulse rate and frequency of respiration at rest and following moderate physical exertion in 44 patients suffering from diseases of the lungs.
Both the increased oxygen requirement following physical exertion and compensatory reactions occurring with disturbed respiratory apparatus are effected in diverse groups of individuals through different pathways of nervous control of respiration and circulation. Four types of respiratory and circulatory reactions in response to exertion were revealed. In all patients these reactions were intensified after the operation; in 50% of them modifications of respiration and cardiac activity were of the same type as preoperatively.
KeywordsOxygen Public Health Physical Exertion Pulse Rate Diverse Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. K. Anokhin, Khirurgiya, No. 12, 8–16 (1954).Google Scholar
- B. F. Antelidze and V. V. Medvedev, Terap. Arkh., 28, 2, 3–9 (1956).Google Scholar
- E. M. Berkovich, Fiziol. Zhur. SSSR, No. 4, (1939).Google Scholar
- E. L. Golubeva, Fiziol. Zhur. SSSR, 41, No. 3, 373–379 (1955).Google Scholar
- G. P. Konradi, A. D. Slonim and V. S. Farfel', The General Basis of the Physiology of Work, Moscow-Leningrad, 1935 [In Russian].Google Scholar
- I. G. Lemberskii, Zhur. Klin. Med., No. 2 (1937).Google Scholar
- V. V. Murashko, External Respiration in Measured Physical Exertion, Candidate's dissertation, Moscow, 1953 [In Russian].Google Scholar
- B. Ya. Sadogurskii, Problemy Tuberk., No. 10 (1936).Google Scholar
- K. A. Sergeeva, Zhur. Éksptl. Khirurgii, No. 2, 16–21 (1956).Google Scholar
- N. I. Tavastsherna, Proceedings of Conferences on the Physiology of Sport, Leningrad, 1955 [In Russian].Google Scholar
- M. N. Shaternikov, Physical Culture and the Hospital, pp. 66–79, Moscow, 1928 [In Russian].Google Scholar
- J. Bishop, Donald and O. Wade, Clin. Sci., 1955, v. 14, No. 2, p. 329–360.Google Scholar
- M. Cara, Compt. reser. Soc. biol., 1953, v. 147, No. 11-12, p. 1057–1059.Google Scholar
- A. Hemingway, D. Pococh and J. Short, J. Chronic Diseases 1956, v. 3, N 3, p. 301–310.Google Scholar
- H. W. Knipping, H. Paschen and W. Steinmeyer, “Untersuchungen über die Arbeitsatmung.” Zbl. inn. Med., 1938, S. 881.Google Scholar
- M. McIlroy and D. K. Bates, “Respiratory function after pneumonectomy”, Thorax 1956, 11, No. 4, p. 303–311.Google Scholar
- T. Sjöstrand, Nord. Med., 1953, v. 50, No. 40, p. 1353–1356, 1953–1956.Google Scholar
- V. H. Wilson, S. Afric. J. Med. Sci., 1953, v. 18, No. 2, p. 87–88.Google Scholar
- H. H. Wittig and Z. Wiss, Friedrich-Schiller's Univ. Math. naturwiss. Reihe, 1953, Bd. 54 No. 5, S. 479–481.Google Scholar