The reflex control of the cardiac activity in fishes
- 15 Downloads
The author studied the relation between the stimulation strength of the pressorreceptors located in the gill blood vessels of fish and the character of the reflex responses of the heart, peripheral blood vessels, and respiration in them. It was demonstrated that with mildly stretched gill blood vessels the rhythm of the cardiac contractions increases, while with vigorous stretching it decreases. Since in fish there is heart tone along the vagus nerves, and the cardiac sympathetic innervation is absent, the reflex intensification of the heart rhythm evidently is caused by the active impulse action of the vagus nerve.
Gill vessel stretching of variable intensity may also cause constriction and dilatation of the intestinal vessels and various changes in respiratory motions.
KeywordsPublic Health Blood Vessel Variable Intensity Vagus Nerve Reflex Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. S. Kulaev, Byull. Éksptl. Biol. and Med., No. 7, 8–12 (1957). Original Russian pagination. See C.B. Translation.Google Scholar
- B. S. Kulaev, Byull. Éksptl. Biol. and Med., No. 4, 8–12 (1958). Original Russian pagination. See C.B. Translation.Google Scholar
- I. M. Rodionov, Byull. Ékspt.. Biol. and Med., No. 6, 3–6 (1959). Original Russian pagination. See C.B. Translation.Google Scholar
- M. G. Udel'nov, Proceedings of the Eighth All-Union Congress of Physiologists, Biochemists and Pharmacologists, pp. 620–621, Moscow, 1955 [In Russian].Google Scholar
- M. G. Udel'nov, Structural and Functional Bases of the Inhibitory Action of the Nervous System and the Nature of the Process of Inhibition of the Heart. Author's abstract of doctorate dissertation, Moscow, 1955.Google Scholar
- V. N. Chernigovskii, Uspekhi Sovremennoi Biol., 23, 2, 215–240 (1947).Google Scholar
- H. E. Hering, Die Karotissinusreflexe auf Herz und Gefasse. Dresden-Leipzig, 1927.Google Scholar
- C. Heymans, J. J. bouckaert, Compt. rend. soc. biol., 1930, v. 103, p. 31–33.Google Scholar
- L. Irving, D. Y. Solandt, O. M. Solandt, J. Physiol., 1935, v. 84, p. 187–190.Google Scholar
- E. Koch, Die reflektorische Selbststeuerung des Kreislaufes. Dresden-Leipzig, 1931.Google Scholar
- A. Kreidl, Arch. ges. Physiol., 1899, Bd. 77, S. 196–201.Google Scholar
- W. Lutz, Biol. Bull., 1932, v. 62, p. 10.Google Scholar