Diurnal variations in the duration of mitosis in the esophageal epithelium of mice
- 8 Downloads
Experiments on C57BL/6J mice showed that the mitotic index in the esophageal epithelium differs considerably in the morning and evening. The use of the colchamine (colcemid) method showed that the duration of mitosis in the morning and evening is about equal, namely 34–49 min (the results varied depending on the dose of colchamine and the duration of its action). Diurnal differences in the mitotic index of the esophageal epithelium thus depend on differences in mitotic activity (the number of mitoses in unit time). The need for observing several demands when the colchicine method is used, in order to obtain reliable results, is emphasized.
Key Wordsduration of mitosis esophageal epithelium colchamine diurnal rhythm of mitosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. V. Bardik, “Effect of hypophysectomy and growth hormone on the periods of the mitotic cycle of cells and their proliferative activity,” Authors's Abstract of Candidate's Dissertation, Moscow (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.V. Ya. Brodskii, Cell Nutrition [in Russian], Moscow (1966), p. 288.Google Scholar
- 3.S. G. Mamontov and L. N. Ivanova, Tsitologiya,13, No. 1, 51 (1971).Google Scholar
- 4.V. P. Rybakov, in: Diurnal Rhythms of Physiological Processes of the Organism [in Russian], Moscow (1972), p. 56.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Worthing and J. Geffner, Methods of Treatment of Experimental Data, New York (1946).Google Scholar
- 6.J. M. Brown and R. J. Berry, Cell Tissue Kinet.,1, 23 (1968).Google Scholar
- 7.A. Evensen, Bull. World Health Org.,28, 513 (1963).Google Scholar
- 8.E. Gyergyay-Malatinsky and F. Gyergyay, Rev. Roum. Embryol. Ser. Cytol.,4, 65 (1967).Google Scholar
- 9.L. Kreyberg, A. Evensen, and O. H. Iversen, Acta Path. Microbiol. Scand.,64, 176 (1965).Google Scholar
- 10.E. M. Tvermyr, Virchows Arch., Abt. B. Zellpath.,2, 318 (1969).Google Scholar