The effect of decortication on radiation sensitivity and radiation resistance
- 19 Downloads
Experiments were carried out on 15 control and 11 decorticate rabbits. Low x-ray doses (100 r) caused a change in a number of physiological functions in the control animal, but had no effect on them in decorticate rabbits. Nevertheless the decorticate animals proved to be less resistant to greater irradiation doses of 400 and 800 r. We conclude that decortication diminishes the range of adaptive possibilities of the body, rendering it less sensitive and less resistant to the action of ionizing radiation.
KeywordsPublic Health Irradiation Dose Control Animal Physiological Function Radiation Resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.É. A. Asratyan, The Physiology of the Central Nervous System [in Russian] (Moscow, 1953), p. 183; Lectures on Some Problems of Neurophysiology [in Russian] (Moscow, 1959), p. 85.Google Scholar
- 2.A. V. Voino-Yasenetskii, Collection: Problems of the Evolution of Physiological Functions [in Russian] (Moscow-Leningrad, 1958), p. 143.Google Scholar
- 3.I. V. Davydovskii et al., Arkh. pat., No. 8, 18 (1960).Google Scholar
- 4.A. V. Lebedinskii, Collection: Transactions of the International Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy [in Russian] (Moscow, 1958), Vol. 11, p. 16.Google Scholar
- 5.A. V. Lebedinskii and Z. H. Nakhil'nitskaya, The Influence of Ionizing Radiations on the Nervous System [in Russian] (Moscow, 1960).Google Scholar
- 6.M. N. Livanov and D. A. Biryukov, Collection: Transactions of the Second International Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy [in Russian] (Moscow, 1959), Vol. 5, p. 74.Google Scholar
- 7.N. N. Livshits, The Influence of Ionizing Radiation on the Function of the Central Nervous System [in Russian] (Moscow, 1961).Google Scholar
- 8.P. F. Minaev, Abstracts of Reports of the All-Union Scientific and Technical Conference on the Application of Radioactive and Stable Isotopes and Radiations in the National Economy and in Science [in Russian] (Moscow, 1957), p. 34; Collection: Radiology [in Russian] (Moscow, 1958), p. 204.Google Scholar