Mechanism of the nervous regulation of the cardiac activity. Effect of division of the vago-sympathetic trunks on changes in excitability of the ventricle of the frog's heart
A study was made of the changes in the excitation of the frog ventricular myocardium following division of the varo-sympathetic trunks at various phases of the cardiac cycle. In unilateral division of the vago-sympathetic trunks the refractory zone of the ventricular myocardium decreases and is shifted to the beginning of the cardiac cycle. In bilateral division the refractoriness continues only during the time corresponding to the descending slope of the R-wave. Definite changes of the threshold excitability level were noted following division of the varo-sympathetic trunks. The inference is that there were changes of the ventricular myocardium lability following division of the nerve trunks, the preponderant effect of the vago-sympathetic impulses on the systolic portion of the cardiac cycle was also noted.
KeywordsPublic Health Cardiac Cycle Nervous Regulation Ventricular Myocardium Cardiac Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. A. Arshavskii, Byull. éksper. biol.,12, 3–4, 167 (1941).Google Scholar
- 2.V. B. Boldyrev, Trudy Leningradsk. Obshchestva Estestvoisp., Otdel. Fiziol. (Leningrad-Moscow),66, 4, 480 (1937).Google Scholar
- 3.N. E. Vvedenskii, Mutual Reinforcement (Corroboration) of the Two Vagus Nerves in Their Action on the Heart [in Russian], St. Petersburg (1913).Google Scholar
- 4.I. A. Vetyukov, Uchen. zapiski Leningradsk. Univ., Seriya biol.22, 178 (1950).Google Scholar
- 5.V. S. Vorob'ev, Great Medical Encyclopedia [in Russian], Vol. 4, Moscow (1928), p. 489.Google Scholar
- 6.V. I. Kuznetsov, In book: Proceedings of the First Congress of the I. P. Pavlov Belorussian Physiological Society [in Russian], Minsk (1962), p. 111.Google Scholar
- 7.A. N. Medelyanovskii and O. I. Kiselev, Pat. fiziol.,6, 68 (1961).Google Scholar
- 8.S. E. Rudashevskii and V. V. Sysoev, In book: The Nervous System [In Russian], No. 2, Leningrad (1960), p. 104.Google Scholar