Effect of alloying additions on the liquid-phase state of refractory metals and their crystallization processes
- 11 Downloads
An analysis is made, by considering the electronic structure of atoms of the principal and alloying elements, of the structural characteristics of refractory metals in the liquid state and of their crystallization process. An attempt is made to explain, in terms of the stable electronic configurations of the valency electrons of interacting atoms, the processes of liquid-phase reaction of the transition d metals with various elements. It is shown that alloying additions producing an increase in the statistical weight of stable d5 configurations of the interacting atoms will help to strengthen and stabilize the short-range-ordered groups in the melt, thereby promoting the appearance of a large number of stable crystallization nuclei.
KeywordsCrystallization Structural Characteristic Statistical Weight Liquid State Crystallization Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ya. I. Frenkel', Izv. Sektora Fiz.-Khim. Analiza,25, 50 (1943).Google Scholar
- 2.Ya. I. Frenkel', Kinetic Theory of Fluid [in Russian], Izd-vo AN SSSR (1945).Google Scholar
- 3.L. A. Kolyadov and A. P. Lyubimov, Izv. Vysshikh Uchebn. Zavedenii, Chernaya Met., No. 11, 140 (1962).Google Scholar
- 4.A. A. Vertman and A. M. Samarin, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Otd. Tekhn. Nauk, Met. i Toplivo, No. 3 (1962).Google Scholar
- 5.V. I. Danilov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Fiz.,5, 30 (1942).Google Scholar
- 6.G. V. Samsonov and L. K. Lamikhov, Vestn. Kievsk. Politekhn. Inst., Ser. Mekhan.-Tekhnol., No. 2, 3 (1965).Google Scholar
- 7.L. K. Lamikhov and G. V. Samsonov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Metally, No. 1, 107 (1966).Google Scholar
- 8.G. V. Samsonov, Ukr. Khim. Zh.,31, No. 12, 1233 (1965).Google Scholar
- 9.G. V. Samsonov, Poroshkovaya Met., No. 12, 46 (1966).Google Scholar
- 10.A. D. Zumbrunner and I. M. Fitzpatrick, J. Less-Common Metals,7, No. 5, 365 (1964).Google Scholar
- 11.E. M. Savitskii, B. B. Baron, and T'ao Dzu-ts'ung, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Otd. Tekhn. Nauk, Met. i. Toplivo, No. 1, 156 (1962).Google Scholar