Preparation of aluminum powder by the dispersion of aluminum in molten sodium hydroxide
A study was made of the possibility of producing aluminum powder by the technique of spontaneous dispersion of aluminum in molten dehydrated and nondehydrated sodium hydroxide, followed by the washing off of the alkali with anhydrous ethyl alcohol.
The properties of the aluminum powders produced-particle shape, specific surf'ace area, active-aluminum content, particle-size distribution, and apparent density for various periods of exposure of metal in alkali and process temperatures -were investigated.
It is shown that high-quality powder can be produced by this technique when the dispersion of aluminum is conducted in anhydrous sodium hydroxide in the temperature range 650-700~ with a brief exposure of the metal to the alkali.
The cost of aluminum powder obtained by the spontaneous dispersion of aluminum in molten sodium hydroxide does not exceed the cost of undispersed aluminum powder obtained by the atomization of the liquid metal with compressed air.
KeywordsAlcohol Aluminum Ethyl Hydroxide Liquid Metal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. P. Tolmachev, Production of Aluminum Powder, Aluminum Dust, and Thermit [in Russian], GONTI (1938).Google Scholar
- 2.W. D. Jones, Principles of Powder Metallurgy, Chapter: Production of Metal Powders [Russian translation], Izd-vo “Mir”, Moscow (1964).Google Scholar
- 3.V. K. Shcherbakov and S. I. Kuznetsov, Surface Phenomena in Melts, Abstracts of Papers to the Third All-Union Conference [in Russian], Izd. UPI, Sverdlovsk (1966), p. 92.Google Scholar
- 4.V. K. Shcherbakov and S. I. Kuznetsov, Izv. Vysshikh Uchebn. Zavedenii, Tsvetn. Met., No. 4, 65 (1967).Google Scholar
- 5.V. I. Likhtman, E. D. Shchukin, and P. A. Rebinder, Physicochemical Mechanics of Metals [in Russian], Izd-vo ANSSSR, Moscow (1962).Google Scholar
- 6.I. M. Fedorchenko and R. A. Andrievskii, Principles of Powder Metallurgy [in Russian], Izd-vo AN UkrSSR, Kiev (1961).Google Scholar
- 7.G. A. Aksenov, Principles of Powder Metallurgy [in Russian], Kuibyshevskoe Knizhnoe Izdatel'stvo (1962).Google Scholar