Physical and technical properties of alloys of the system W - BN
- 54 Downloads
A technique has been developed for the preparation of W-BN system alloys with various boron nitride contents.
Using x-ray diffraction, metallographic, and chemical analyses, a study was made of the character of reaction between tungsten and boron nitride over the temperature range 2060–2260°C; it was established that reaction between the components of these alloys leads to the formation of the following phases: a solid solution of boron in tungsten and the tungsten borides W2B andα-WB.
It is concluded that tungsten in contact with boron nitride is not suitable for engineering applications at temperatures of 2260°C.
KeywordsChemical Analysis Solid Solution Boron Tungsten Nitride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. R. Tinklepaugh and W. B. Crandall, Cermets [Russian translation], Moscow, IL, (1962),Google Scholar
- 2.Sintered Bearing Composition, L. Gareth, Bibbins, Holden, Mass, assignor to Norton Co., Worcester, Mass., Appl., December 21, 1956, Serial No. 629889.Google Scholar
- 3.G. V. Samsonov and M. S. Koval'chenko, Hot Pressing [in Russian], Gostekhizdat (1962).Google Scholar
- 4.S. A. Saltykov, Stereometric Metallography [in Russian], Moscow, Metallurgizdat, (1958).Google Scholar
- 5.G. V. Samsonov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,113, 1299 (1957).Google Scholar
- 6.O. T. Khorpyakov, Yu. B. Paderno, and V. P. Dzeganovskii, Reference Standards for the X-Ray Diffraction of Hard and Refractory Compounds [in Ukrainian], Kiev, Acad. Sci. UkrSSR Press (1962).Google Scholar
- 7.V. I. Odelevskii, Zh. Tekhn. Fiz.,21, 6, 673 (1951).Google Scholar
- 8.G. V. Samsonov and V. S. Neshpor, Collection: Problems of Powder Metallurgy and Strength of Materials [in Russian], No. 5 (1958), p. 3.Google Scholar
- 9.F. Nix, D. Mas, and Nair, Phys. Rev.,61, 74 (1942).Google Scholar
- 10.Taylor, Ind. Eng. Chemistry,47, 2506 (1955).Google Scholar
- 11.T. A. Ingles and P. Popper, Metal Powder Report, V. 16, No. 1 (1961), p. 9.Google Scholar
- 12.V. V. Fesenko and A. S. Bolgar, Poroshkovaya Met., 1, 3 (1963).Google Scholar
- 13.G. V. Samsonov and K. I. Portnoi, Alloys Based on Refractory Compounds [in Russian] Oborongiz, (1961).Google Scholar
- 14.S. Deshman, Scientific Principles of Vacuum Engineering [Russian translation] Moscow, IL, (1950), p. 656.Google Scholar