The complex Hα profile of the hypergiant HR 8752 during 1970–1992
- 51 Downloads
The profiles of Hα observed during the 1970–1992 period in the binary hypergiant HR 8752 (G0 Ia) are presented. We distinguish five typical Hα profiles designated as A, B, C, D and E types according to the number of emission and absorption features. The profiles of Hα are complex and contain several emission and absorption components, with: −130 km/s in emission or absorption, −84 km/s in absorption, −49 km/s in emission and about +6 km/s in emission. All of them are rather stable in radial velocities except of the main absorption component in the P Cygni profile with −84 km/s. The frequency of appearance and the periods of duration of the occurrence of the components is discussed. The duration times range between about 3 to 10 months for various components. The red emission component E2 is particularly interesting. Possible explanations of its origin are discussed.
A long-term acceleration of the absorption component in the P Cygni profile is found; it can be interpreted as monotonous acceleration of the stellar wind.
KeywordsRadial Velocity Duration Time Absorption Feature Absorption Component Stellar Wind
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- De Jager, C.: 1980,The Brightest Stars, D. Reidel Publ. Co., Dordrecht, HollandGoogle Scholar
- Ferro, A. A.: 1985,Rev. Mexicana Astron. Astrof. 11, 113.Google Scholar
- Higgs, L. A., Feldman, P. A. and Smolinski, J.: 1978,Astrophys. J. 220, L109.Google Scholar
- Humphreys, R. M.: 1992, in C. De Jager and H. Nieuwenhuijzen (eds.),Instabilities in evolved super- and hypergiants, 13.Google Scholar
- Imhoff, C. L.: 1977,Astrophys. J. 214, 773.Google Scholar
- Lambert, D. L. and Luck, R. E.: 1978,Monthly Notices Roy. Astron. Soc. 184, 405.Google Scholar
- Luck, R. E. and Lambert, D. L.: 1981,Astrophys. J. 245, 1018.Google Scholar
- Piters, A., De Jager, C., and Nieuwenhuijzen, H.: 1988,Astron. Astrophys. 196, 115.Google Scholar
- Sargent, W. L. W.: 1965,Observatory 85, 33.Google Scholar
- Smolinski, J.: 1971, inColloquium on Supergiant Stars, ed. M. Hack, Osservatorio Astronomico di Trieste, Trieste, p. 68Google Scholar
- Smolinski, J., Feldman, P. A. and Higgs, L. A.: 1977,Astron. Astrophys. 60, 277Google Scholar
- Smolinski, J., Climenhaga, J. L., and Fletcher, J.M.: 1982,Inf. Bull. Var. Stars, No. 2229.Google Scholar
- Smolinski, J., Climenhaga, J. L., and Fletcher, J.M.: 1986,Symposium on Luminous Stars and Associations in Galaxies, eds. De Loore, C.W.H., Willis, A.J., Laskarides, 89.Google Scholar
- Smolinski, J., Climenhaga, J. L., and Fletcher, J.M.: 1989,Physics of Luminous Blue Variables, eds. Davidson, K., Moffat, A. F. J., Lamers, H. J. G. L. M., 131.Google Scholar
- Stickland, D. J. and Harmer, D. L.: 1978,Astron. Astrophys. 70, L53.Google Scholar