Textural transitions in titanium alloys during polymorphic transformations and recrystallization of the beta-phase
- 34 Downloads
Analysis of the crystallographic texture of the α-phase in rolled sheets of titanium pseudo-α-alloys that had previously been subjected to short-term annealing at different temperatures makes it possible to determine the temperature of the polymorphic transformation of these alloys with high accuracy and investigate the recrystallization process of the high-temperature phase. The temperature Tpt=955±15 and 1018±17°C for alloys OT4 and VT20, respectively.
Use of x-ray photography with layer-by-layer removal of material from the surface of the specimen makes it possible to ascertain the variation in the temperature of the phase transition over a section of an article in the presence of an impurity gradient across the thickness. Thus, Tpt=1053±17°C on the surface of an alloy VT20 sheet; this is ∼35°C higher than that in the core.
KeywordsTitanium Phase Transition Recrystallization Titanium Alloy Photography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. G. Glazunov and V. N. Moiseev, Structural Titanium Alloys [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.B. B. Chechulin, S. S. Ushkov, and I. N. Razuvaeva, Titanium Alloys in Maching Building [in Russian], Mashinostroenie, Leningrad (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.Ya. D. Vishnyakov, A. A. Babareko, S. A. Vladimirov et al., Theory of Texture Formation in Metals and Alloys [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1979).Google Scholar
- 4.A. A. Babaréko, Texture development in metals and alloys during deformation and recrystallization, Metallography and Heat Treatment: Results of Sciences and Engineering [in Russian], Vsesoyuznyi Institut Nauchnoi i Tekhnicheskoi Informatsii, Moscow (1967). pp. 5–83.Google Scholar
- 5.N. V. Ageev and M. S. Model', "On determination of the content of gaseous impurities in titanium from the magnitude of the crystal-lattice constants", Zh. Neorgan. Khim.,3, No. 6, 1439–1446 (1958).Google Scholar