Evolving techniques in endoscopic extraperitoneal herniorrhaphy
Endoscopic extraperitoneal herniorrhaphy (EEPH) was utilized to repair 326 groin hernias in 249 patients over a 32-month period. Nearly one in ten of the repairs was for a recurrent hernia. Several patients had contralateral hernias diagnosed only at the time of endoscopic examination. A recurrence rate of 1.6% and an overall complication rate of 5.2% are cited. After a plateau was reached on the surgeon's learning curve, various modifications in technique were implemented. Through these modifications, EEPH has become a safe, efficient, and standardized operation that can be performed with decreasing costs to the hospital and with increasing advantages to the patient.
Key wordsLaparoscopy Herniorrhaphy Extraperitoneal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Corbitt JD (1991) Laparoscopic herniorrhaphy. Surg Laparosc Endosc 1: 23–25Google Scholar
- 2.Ferzli G, Massaad A, Dysarz F, Kopatsis A (1993) A study of 101 patients treated with extraperitoneal endoscopic laparoscopic herniorrhaphy. Am Surg 59: 707–708Google Scholar
- 3.Ferzli G, Dysarz F (1994) Extraperitoneal endoscopic inguinal herniorrhaphy performed without carbon dioxide insufflation. J Laparoendosc Surg 4: 301–304Google Scholar
- 4.Ferzli G, Massaad A, Albert P (1992) Extraperitoneal endoscopic inguinal hernia repair. J Laparoendosc Surg 2: 281–286Google Scholar
- 5.MacFayden B, Arrequi M, Corbitt J, Filip C, Fitzgibbons R (1993) Complications of laparoscopic hernia. Surg Endosc 7: 155–158Google Scholar
- 6.McKernan JB, Laws HL (1993) Laparoscopic repair of inguinal hernias using a totally extraperitoneal prosthetic approach. Surg Endosc 7: 26–28Google Scholar
- 7.Nyhus LM, Pollack R, Bombeck TC, Donahue PE (1988) The preperitoneal approach and prosthetic buttress repair for recurrent herniae. Ann Surg 208: 722–727Google Scholar
- 8.Schultz L, Graber J, Piettafitta J, Hickock D (1990) Laser laparoscopic herniorrhaphy: a clinical trial. Preliminary results. J Laparoendosc Surg 1: 41–45Google Scholar
- 9.Stoppa RE, Warlaumont CR (1989) The preperitoneal approach and prosthetic repair of groin herniae. In: Nyhus LM, Condon RE (eds) Hernia. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott, pp 199–225Google Scholar
- 10.Toy FK, Smoot RT Jr (1991) Toy-Smoot laparoscopic hernioplasty. Surg Laparosc Endosc 1: 151–155Google Scholar