On the transition from Weyl to Ricci focusing
- 71 Downloads
Using the weak-field approximation, we show that the Weyl focusing of rays in a beam of light which passes around a number of spherical deflectors may be approximated by the Ricci focusing of the beam due to the enclosed mass.
KeywordsDifferential Geometry Spherical Deflector Enclose Mass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Penrose, R. (1966). InPerspectives in Geometry and Relativity, ed. Hoffmann, B. H., Indiana University Press, Bloomington, Indiana, p. 259.Google Scholar
- 2.Liebes, S. J. (1964).Phys. Rev.,133, B835.Google Scholar
- 3.Dyer, C. C., and Roeder, R. C. (1980).Astrophys. J.,238, L67.Google Scholar
- 4.Dyer, C. C. (1977).Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc.,180, 231.Google Scholar
- 5.Pineault, S., and Roeder, R. C. (1977).Astrophys. J.,212, 541.Google Scholar