Static conformally flat solutions in a general scalar-tensor theory of gravitation
- 55 Downloads
Explicit field equations in the general scalar-tensor theory of gravitation proposed by Nordtvedt are obtained with the aid of a static spherically symmetric conformally flat metric. Exact static solutions of Nordtvedt-Barker field equations both in vacuum and in the presence of a source-free electromagnetic field are presented and studied. It is shown that there are no spherically symmetric static conformally flat solutions of Nordtvedt-Barker field equations representing perfect fluid distribution with disordered radiation obeying the equation of stateρ=3p, except for the trivial empty flat space-time of Einstein's theory.
KeywordsRadiation Electromagnetic Field Static Solution Field Equation Differential Geometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nordtvedt, K., Jr. (1970).Astrophys. J.,161, 1059.Google Scholar
- 2.Brans, C., and Dicke, R. H. (1961).Phys. Rev.,124, 925.Google Scholar
- 3.Jordan, P. (1959).Schwerkraft and Weltall, Vieweg, Braunschweig.Google Scholar
- 4.Barker, B. M. (1978).Astrophys. J.,219, 5.Google Scholar
- 5.Reddy, D. R. K. (1979).J. Math. Phys.,20, 23.Google Scholar
- 6.Reddy, D. R. K., and Rao, V. U. M. (1981).J. Phys. A Math. Gen.,14, 1973.Google Scholar
- 7.Dutta Choudhury, S. B., and Bhattacharya, D. (1980).J. Phys. A Math. Gen.,13, 3643.Google Scholar
- 8.Banerjee, A., and Dutta Choudhury, S. B. (1980).J. Math. Phys.,21, 2799.Google Scholar
- 9.Landau, L. and Lifshitz, E. (1959).The Classical Theory of Fields, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts.Google Scholar