Reactive impulse from the explosion of a gas mixture in a semiinfinite space
- 74 Downloads
The reactive impulse from the explosion of an acetylene-oxygen mixture in a cylindrical chamber is calculated and measured. The gas mixture was charged into the closed end of the chamber and filled all or part of the length of the chamber. In the latter case, air filled the remaining part of the chamber volume. With a variation in the ratio of chamber and charge lengths from 1 to 7–10, the specific impulse from detonation of the mixture increases from 160 to 500–540 sec. In the case of fuel-air mixtures, the theoretical specific impulse is several times lower per unit mass of the mixture and several times greater per unit mass of the fuel.
KeywordsCombustion Chamber Detonation Wave Detonation Product Fuel Mixture Explosion Product
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. P. Stanyukovich, Transient Motions of a Continuum [in Russian], Gostekhizdat, Moscow (1955).Google Scholar
- 2.A. P. Pogorelov, B. L. Glushak, S. A. Novikov, et al., “Dependence of reactive impulse on the rigidity of the barrier in the sliding detonation regime”. Fiz. Goren. Vzryva, No. 5, 771–774 (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.L. H. Back, W. L. Dowler, and G. Varsi, “Detonation propulsion experiments and theory.” AIAA J.,13, No. 10, 1418 (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.W. B. Scott, “Renewed interest in pulsed engines may be linked to “black” aircraft,” Aviat. Week Space Technol., 68–69, Oct. 28 (1991).Google Scholar
- 5.A. A. Vasil'ev, V. V. Mitrofanov, and M. E. Topchiyan, “Detonation waves in gases,” Fiz. Goren. Vzryva, No. 5, 109–131 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.S. K. Godunov, A. V. Zabrodin, M. Ya. Ivanov, et al., Numerical Solution of Multidimensional Problems of Gasdynamics [in Russian]. Nauka, Moscow (1976).Google Scholar
- 7.Yu. A. Nikolaev and P. A. Fomin, “Calculation of equilibrium flows of chemically reacting gases,” Fiz. Goren. Vzryva,18, No. 1, 66–72 (1982).Google Scholar
- 8.V. E. Alemasov, Theory of Rocket Engines [in Russian], Oborongiz, Moscow (1962).Google Scholar