Ignition, combustion, and quenching temperatures of liquids in vessels
- 25 Downloads
We have studied the ignition, combustion, and quenching temperatures of amyl alcohol at different positions of the liquid surface in the vessel. Quartz positions of the liquid surface in the vessel. Quartz tubes 22, 36, 56, and 80 mm in diameter were employed.
It has been established that the ignition temperature ϑi increases with increase in the distance h from the liquid to the edge of the vessel, in accordance with the approximate relation (1). As the limiting depth is approached, ϑi increases more rapidly than follows from relation (1).
The combustion temperature in narrow tubes varied according to a complicated law, but in vessels not less than 50 mm in diameter it hardly changed at all with increase in h and began to fall only as hlim was approached.
At h-hlim the ϑc(h) and ϑi(h) curves closed to form the boundary of a certain region. At h < hlim the temperature ϑ of the ignited liquid rapidly increased with the passage of time. The experimental data are closely described by Eq. (2).
When the distance from the liquid to the edge of the burner was greater than the limiting value, the heated liquid ignited, but rapidly went out. The quenching temperature of the liquid proved to be somewhat lower than the ignition temperature, but the difference between ϑi and ϑq did not exceed 10°C.
KeywordsAlcohol Experimental Data Combustion Quartz Dynamical System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. I. Blinov, Tr. Voronezhskogo gos. un-ta, vol. 11, f.-m. otdel, no. 1, 1939.Google Scholar
- 2.D. A. Frank-Kamenetskii, Diffusion and Heat Transfer in Chemical Kinetics [in Russian], Moscow, Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1961.Google Scholar
- 3.L. A. Vulis, Thermal Regime of Combustion [in Russian], Moscow, Gosenergoizdat, 1954.Google Scholar
- 4.I. I. Petrov and V. Ch. Reutt, Quenching of Liquid Fuel Flames [in Russian], Moscow, Izd-vo MKKh, 1961.Google Scholar
- 5.V. I. Blinov and G. N. Khudyakov, Diffusion Burning of Liquids [in Russian], Moscow, Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1961.Google Scholar
- 6.Collection: New Methods of Quenching Petroleum Product Flames [in Russian], Moscow, Gostoptekhizdat, 1960.Google Scholar
- 7.E. S. Artemenko and V. I. Blinov, Inf. sb. TsNIIPO, 1966.Google Scholar
- 8.V. I. Blinov, DAN SSSR, 52, 9, 1946.Google Scholar
- 9.P. G. Ipatov, Inf. sb. TsNIIPO, 1952.Google Scholar