Matrix strengthening in continuous fibre reinforced composites under monotonic and cyclic loading conditions
- 40 Downloads
Unidirectional and cyclic tensile stress-strain testing has been carried out on continuous tungsten fibre reinforced copper composites, with fibre diameter from 11 to 48 Μm at a volume fraction of 0.37. In tensile tests the composites showed positive deviations from the rule of mixtures, the amount increasing with a decrease in fibre diameter and, therefore, interfibre spacing. This matrix strengthening continued to failure and was shown to be related in part to the matrix grain size.
In the cyclic stress-strain tests the matrix strengthening was approximately the same for all the composites and was greater than for the tensile tests. The strengthening could be accounted for by the formation of a substructure during cycling of approximately 0.5 Μm cell size.
KeywordsPolymer Copper Grain Size Tungsten Tensile Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Jackson, D. M. Braddick andA. A. Baker,Fibre Sci. & Tech. 5 (1972) 219.Google Scholar
- 2.A. A. Baker, D. M. Braddick andP. Jackson,J. Mater. Sci. 7 (1972) 747.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Kelly andH. Lilholt,Phil. Mag. 20 (1969) 311.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Garmong andL. A. Shepard,Met. Trans. 2 (1971) 175.Google Scholar
- 5.W. F. Stuhrke, ASTM STP438 (1969) p. 108.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Neumann andP. Haasen,Phil. Mag. 23 (1971) 285.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Tanaka andT. Mori,ibid 23 (1971) 737.Google Scholar
- 8.J. F. Tavernelli andL. F. Coffin,Trans. ASM 51 (1959) 438.Google Scholar
- 9.A. A. Baker,Appl. Mat. Res. 5 (1966) 143.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Kelly andM. J. Bomford, “Physics of Strength and Plasticity” (M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969) p. 339.Google Scholar
- 11.A. A. Baker, A. Martin andR. J. Bache, “Composites”,2 (1971) 154.Google Scholar
- 12.J. C. Grosskreutz, “Fatigue1 An Interdisciplinary Approach”, edited by J. J. Burke (Syracuse N.Y. University Press, 1964) p. 27.Google Scholar
- 13.J. R. Hancock andJ. C. Grosskreutz, ASTM STP 438 (1969) p. 134.Google Scholar
- 14.K. K. Chawla,Metallography 6 (1973) 155.Google Scholar