On the Majorana equations and the rest mass of neutrinos
As is well known, the law of parity conservation does not hold in weak interactions. This type of asymmetry created a number of theoretical problems which were solved, first of all, by a new understanding of the features of neutrinos and their role in weak interactions. These solutions were based, however, essentially on the handedness (chirality) of neutrinos which is closely related to their vanishing rest mass. The thesis of neutrinos with nonvanishing rest mass, newly considered in the literature, therefore requires a rediscussion of the early arguments concerning the relation between the neutrino theory and some weak interaction essentials. When one does this, as in the present paper, it is noted that neutrinos with rest mass lead to some difficulties, in particular to a violation of T invariance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Weyl,Z. Phys. 56, 330 (1929).Google Scholar
- 2.A. Einstein, “Riemann-Geometrie mit Aufrechterhaltung des Begriffs des Fernparallelismus,”Sitzungsber. Preuss. Akad. Wiss., p. 217 (1928); A. Einstein and W. Mayer, “Semi-Vektoren und Spinoren,”Sitzungsber. Preuss. Akad. Wiss., p. 522 (1932).Google Scholar
- 3.L. D. Landau,Nucl. Phys. 3, 127 (1957).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Salam,Nuovo Cimento 5, 299 (1957).Google Scholar
- 5.T. D. Lee and C. N. Yang,Phys. Rev. 105, 1671 (1957).Google Scholar
- 6.E. C. G. Sudarshan and R. E. Marshak,Phys. Rev. 109, 1860 (1958).Google Scholar
- 7.J. J. Sakurai,Nuovo Cimento 7, 649 (1958).Google Scholar
- 8.R. P. Feynman and M. Gell-Mann,Phys. Rev. 109, 193 (1958).Google Scholar
- 9.W. Pauli, “Zur älteren und neueren Geschichte des Neutrinos,” inWolfgang Pauli, Aufsätze und Vorträge (Vieweg, Braunschweig, 1961).Google Scholar
- 10.E. Majorana,Nuovo Cimento 14, 171 (1937).Google Scholar
- 11.V. Gribov and B. Pontecorvo,Phys. Lett. B 28, 493 (1969); S. M. Bilenki and B. Pontecorvo,Usp. Fiz. Nauk 123, 181 (1977) (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 12.J. A. McLennan,Phys. Rev. 106, 821 (1957).Google Scholar
- 13.W. Pauli, inWissenschaftlicher Briefwechsel mit Bohr, Einstein, Heisenberg, und andere; A. Hermann, K. von Meyenn, and V. F. Weisskopf, eds. (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1979), Vol. I.Google Scholar