Substitution-induced mid-gap states in R x Ba1−xTiO3−δ whereR = Y, La, and Nd
- 27 Downloads
Changes induced in the electronic structure of BaTiO3 by substitutions of R = Y, La or Nd for Ba to form the mixed oxides R x Ba1−xTiO3−δ have been investigated using ultraviolet photoelectron spectroscopy. Substitution of formally R+3 ions for Ba+2 leads to the introduction of filled states in the band gap that are shown by resonant photoemission measurements to have significant Ti 3d character, consistent with a Mott-Hubbard insulator description for these oxides. It is suggested that the dominant factor is electron-electron correlation and this leads to the estimatesU∼Δ∼3 eV for this system, whereU is the correlation energy for the 3d and Δ is the charge transfer energy. Changes are observed in the photoelectron spectral shape for these states as a function of increasing substitution in the Nd system and discussed in the context of the opening of the Hubbard gap.
Key wordsMixed oxides doping electronic structure photoemission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Eylem, G. Saghi-Szabo, B.-H. Chen, B. Eichhorn, J.-L. Peng, R. Greene, L. Salamanca-Riba, and S. Nahm,Chem. Mater. 4, 1038 (1992).Google Scholar
- 2.J. Zaanen, G. A. Sawatzky, and J. W. Allen,Phys. Rev. Lett. 55, 418 (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.S. W. Robey, L. T. Hudson, C. Eylem, and B. Eichhorn,Phys. Rev. B 48, 562 (1993).Google Scholar
- 4.L. T. Hudson, R. L. Kurtz, S. W. Robey, D. Temple, and R. L. Stockbauer,Phys. Rev. B 47, 1174 (1993).Google Scholar
- 5.Z. Zhang, S. Jeng, and V. E. Henrich,Phys. Rev. B 43, 12004 (1991); K. E. Smith, and V. E. Henrich,Phys. Rev. B 38, 9571 (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.L. C. Davis,J. Appl. Phys. 59, R25 (1986).Google Scholar
- 7.A. Fujimori, I. Hase, H. Namatame, Y. Fujishima, Y. Tokura, H. Eisaki, S. Uchida, K. Takegahara, and F. M. F. de Groot,Phys. Rev. Lett. 69, 1796 (1992).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Fujimori, I. Hase, M. Nakamura, H. Namatame, Y. Fujishima, Y. Tokura, M. Abbate, F. M. F. de Groot, M. T. Czyzyk, J. C. Fuggle, O. Strebel, F. Lopez, M. Domke, and G. Kaindl,Phys. Rev. B 46, 9841 (1992).Google Scholar
- 9.S. W. Robey, C. Eylem, and B. Eichhorn, unpublished.Google Scholar
- 10.P. A. Cox, R. G. Egdell, J. B. Goodenough, A. Hamnett, and C. C. Naish,J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys. 16, 6221 (1983).Google Scholar