A conjectured explanation for room-temperature superconductivity in narrow channels in oxidized polypropylene
- 27 Downloads
Two groups of scientists have observed conductivity at least five orders of magnitude higher than that of copper at room temperature in narrow channels perpendicular to surfaces of films in oxidized polypropylene. For pulsed currents, this conductivity starts at a minimum value of applied current, and is destroyed at a current of about 30–60 times this value. Because of the existence of an upper critical current and of the observation that electronic thermal conductivity is negligible in the channels, it is thought that the channels are superconducting. A study is made of the hypothesis that these results are due to enhanced pairing, as first suggested by Parmenter, when the drift velocity of current carriers becomes close to the velocity of sound or, in work by Hone and by the present author, to an appropriate phase velocity of optical phonons. Such enhancements can be expected to be larger in quasi-one-dimensional systems.
Key wordsRoom-temperature superconductivity high-current superconductivity oxidized polypropylene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. S. Enikolopyan, L. N. Grigorov, and S. G. Smirnova,Pis'ma Zh. Eksp. Teor, Fiz. 49, 326 (1989) [JETP Lett. 49, 371 (1989)].Google Scholar
- 2.V. M. Arkhangorodskii, A. N. Ionov, V. M. Tuchkevich, and I. S. Shlimak,Pis'ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 51, 56 (1990) [JETP Lett. 51, 67 (1990)].Google Scholar
- 3.O. V. Demicheva, D. N. Rogachev, S. G. Smirnova, E. I. Shklyarova, M. Yu. Yablokov, V. M. Andreev, and L. N. Grigorov,Pis'ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 51, 228 (1990) [JETP Lett. 51, 258 (1990)].Google Scholar
- 4.L. N. Grigorov, O. V. Demicheva, and S. G. Smirnova,Sverkhprovodimost' (KIAE) 4, 399 (1991) [Superconductivity 4, 345 (1991)].Google Scholar
- 5.R. H. Parmenter,Phys. Rev. 116, 1390 (1959).Google Scholar
- 6.R. H. Parmenter,Phys. Rev. 140, A1952 (1965).Google Scholar
- 7.D. Hone,Phys. Rev. 138, A1421 (1965).Google Scholar
- 8.D. M. Eagles,Phys. Lett. 20, 591 (1966).Google Scholar
- 9.D. M. Eagles, inProc. 10th. Int. Conf. Low Temp. Phys. Vol. II A (VINITI, Moscow, 1967), pp. 261–265.Google Scholar
- 10.G. M. Éliashberg,Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 38, 966 (1960) [Sov. Phys. JETP 11, 696 (1960)].Google Scholar