Development of high-Tc superconducting Bi-2223 tape joints
- 26 Downloads
High-Tc superconducting joints between Ag-clad Bi-2223 tapes have been developed for persistent current applications. Two presintered tapes with one side of the silver stripped were lapped and then wrapped by a silver foil. The complex was uniaxially pressed followed by appropriate sintering to form a high-Tc superconducting tape joint. It was found that the ratio of critical currents through the joint to that of the tape,Icj/Ic, depended on the uniaxial pressure and the sintering conduction. At liquid-nitrogen temperature 77 K,Icj/Ic=99% has been achieved. Persistent current loops formed by Bi-2223 tapes have also been fabricated and tested. Joint resistance of a loop was determined to be ∼4×10−13 Ω between the decay time of 120 and 3600 sec.
Key wordsBi 2223 tape joints
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Sato, T. Hikata, H. Mukai, M. Ueyama, N. Shibuta, T. Kato, T. Masuda, M. Nagata, K. Iwata, and T. Mitsue,IEEE Trans. Magn. 27, 1231 (1991).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Chen, L. Horng, H. S. Koo, C. Y. Shei, L. P. Wang, C. Chiang, T. J. Yang, W. H. Lee, and P. T. Wu,Appl. Phys. Lett. 59, 635 (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Haldar, J. G. Hoehn, Jr., J. A. Rice, M. S. Walker, and L. R. Motowidlo,Appl. Phys. Lett. 64, 604 (1992).Google Scholar
- 4.G. N. Riley, Jr., D. R. Parker, C. J. Christopherson, P. K. Miles, J. J. Pickett, S. E. Hughson, J. D. Schreiber, A. Polyanskii, A. Pashitskii, and D. C. Larbalestier,Physica C 235–240, 3407 (1994).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Chen, L. Horng, C. H. Tai, J. E. Wei, T. J. Yang, and J. T. Lue,Chin. J. Phys. 31, 1049 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.U. Balachandran, A. N. Iyer, C. A. Youngdahl, L. R. Motowidlo, J. G. Hoehn, Jr., and P. Haldar, Proc. of the 3rd IUMRS International Conference on Advanced Materials, Tokyo, Japan, August 31–September 4, 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Chen, C. H. Tai, Y. T. Huang, D. S. Shy, and Yu-Ting Huang,J. Supercond., published in volume 9, No. 1, 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.M. J. Leupold and Y. Iwasa,Cryogenics 16, 215 (1974).Google Scholar
- 9.H. G. Lee, G. W. Hong, J. J. Kim, and M. Y. Song,Physica C 242, 81 (1995).Google Scholar