q-Dependent phonon renormalization: Possible test for the symmetry of the superconducting gap by neutron scattering?
- 16 Downloads
Theq dependence of the phonon renormalization belowTc is studied for superconducting gaps with different symmetries. It is shown that for small to intermediate values ofq the angular dependence of the renormalization is characteristic of the gap anisotropy. However, we demonstrate that this dependence is not solely due to the symmetry of the gap, but also to the specific functional form of Δk. We compare our calculations with recent neutron scattering experiments done on YBa2Cu3O7. These data are well described in terms of ans-wave anisotropic gap resulting from the nontotally screened interaction of holes with long-wave, optical phonons.
Key wordsPhonon renormalization gap symmetry neutron scattering
- 1.P. Monthoux, A. V. Balatsky, and D. Pines,Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 3448 (1991).Google Scholar
- 2.S. Chakravarty, A. Sudbø, P. W. Anderson, and S. Strong,Science 261, 337 (1993).Google Scholar
- 3.V. Hizhnyakov and E. SigmundPhys. Rev. B 53, 5163 (1995) and this volume.Google Scholar
- 4.D. J. Van Harlingen,Rev. Mod. Phys. 67, 515 (1995).Google Scholar
- 5.K. A. Müller,Nature 377, 133 (1995).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Bill, V. Hizhnyakov, and E. SigmundPhys. Rev. B. 52, 7637 (1995);Physica C 235–240, 2137 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.T. P. Devereaux, A. Virosztek and A. Zawadowski,Phys. Rev. B 51, 505 (1995).Google Scholar
- 8.N. Pyka, W. Reichhardt, L. Pintchovius, G. Engel, J. Rossat-Mignod, and J. Y. Henry,Phys. Rev. Lett. 70, 1457 (1993).Google Scholar
- 9.D. Reznik, B. Keimer, F. Dogan, and I. A. Aksay,Phys. Rev. Lett. 75, 2396 (1995).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Bill, V. Hizhnyakov, and E. Sigmund to appear inJ. Supercond. (to be printed).Google Scholar
- 11.Z. X. Shen, W. E. Spicer, D. M. King, D. S. Dessau, and B. O. Wells,Science 267, 343 (1995).Google Scholar