Apparatus for low-temperature fatigue tests in high vacuum
- 22 Downloads
The construction of an apparatus for low-temperature fatigue tests in vacuum is described. The electromagnetic system used for generating dynamic loads makes it possible to test flat specimens in alternating symmetrical bending at a 50 cps frequency. A vacuum of the order of 5 · 10−9 mm Hg can be produced by the evacuating system which includes a hydrogen condensation pump. The specimens are cooled with liquid nitrogen. Some tentative data on the influence of vacuum and low temperatures on the fatigue strength of stainless steel are reported.
KeywordsHydrogen Nitrogen Fatigue Stainless Steel Liquid Nitrogen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. U. Snowden, J. of Scientific Instruments,41, no. 7, 470–471, 1964.Google Scholar
- 2.H. Shen, S. H. Podlaseck, and I. R. Kramer, Acta Metallurgica,14, no. 3, 341–346, 1966.Google Scholar
- 3.M. J. Hordon, Acta Metallurgica,14, no. 10, 1173–1178, 1966.Google Scholar
- 4.N. J. Wordsworth, collection: Fatigue and Endurance of Metals [Russian translation], IL, 1963.Google Scholar
- 5.M. R. Achter, N. N. Smith, R. J. Riley, and R. L. Stegman, The Review of Scientific Instruments [Russian translation], vol. 37, no. 3, 62, 1966.Google Scholar
- 6.R. I. Stephens and G. M. Sinclair, ASTM Bulletin, no. 249, 44–48, 1960.Google Scholar
- 7.M. G. Lozinskii and A. N. Romanov, Machine 1MASh-10 for Microstructure Investigation of the Kinetics of Fracture of Metals and Alloys Fatigued in Reverse Bending in Vacuum at Elevated Temperatures [in Russian], Izd. NIIMASh, 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.V.S. Ivanova, Fatigue Fracture of Metals [in Russian], Moscow, 1963.Google Scholar
- 9.I. A. Oding, V. S. Ivanova, L. K. Gordienko, and V. N. Stepanov, ZL, no. 9, 1126, 1962.Google Scholar
- 10.I.A. Oding, V.S. Ivanova, L.K. Gordienko, and V.M. Stepanov, Electromagnetic Machines for Fatigue Tests on Flat Specimens in Reverse Bending. Strength of Metals Under Alternating Loads [in Russian], Izd. AN SSSR, 1963.Google Scholar