Localized amyloidosis of the uterine cervix was found in a 56-year-old woman. The firm enlarged cervix showed massive tumorous amyloid deposition. In the amyloid deposits there were foci of ossification and calcification. An infiltrate of multinucleated giant cells, histiocytes, lymphocytes, and plasma cells was seen adjacent to the amyloid deposits. Immunohistochemically, the amyloid reacted with antisera against A-lambda, amyloid protein of immunoglobulin lambda light chain origin. This indicated that the amyloid protein was of immunoglobulin origin in this rare case of localized amyloidosis of the uterine cervix.
Key wordsUterine cervix Amyloidosis Amyloid protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Copeland W, Hawley PC, Teteris NJ (1985) Gynecologic amyloidosis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 153:555–556Google Scholar
- Fenoglio C, Pascal RR (1970) Nodular amyloidosis of the lungs. Arch Pathol 90:577–582Google Scholar
- Fujihara S, Balow JE, Costa JC, Glenner GG (1980) Identification and classification of amyloid in formlain-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections by the unlabeled immunoperoxidase method. Lab Invest 43:358–365Google Scholar
- Fujihara S, Glenner GG (1981) Primary localized amyloidosis of the genitourinary tract. Immunohistochemical study on eleven cases. Lab Invest 44:55–60Google Scholar
- Glenner GG (1980) Amyloid deposits and amyloidosis. The beta-fibrilloses. N Engl J Med 302:1283–1292, 1333–1343Google Scholar
- Gondou S, Ishihara T, Takahashi M, Yokota T, Kawano H, Nagasawa T, Yamashita Y, Uchino F, Iwata T, Kamei T, Okuzono Y (1987) Amyloid in squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Tr Soc Pathol Jpn 76:77 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Husby G, Sletten K, Blumenkrantz, Danielsen L (1981) Characterization of an amyloid fibril protein from localized amyloidosis of the skin as lambda immunoglobulin light chains of variable subgroup I (A-lambda I). Clin Exp Immunol 45:90–96Google Scholar
- Husby G, Sletten K (1986) Chemical and clinical classification of amyloidosis 1985. Scand J Immunol 23:253–265Google Scholar
- Kitajima Y, Seno J, Aoki S, Tada S, Yaoita H (1986) Nodular primary cutaneous amyloidosis. Isolation and characterization of amyloid fibrils. Arch Dermatol 122:1425–1430Google Scholar
- Liaras J, Conti C, Marien M, Beurlet J, Frappart L (1984) Aspects colposcopiques d'un dépôt de substance amyloïde au niveau du col utérin. Arch Anat Cytol Path 32:374Google Scholar
- Page DL, Isersky C, Harada M, Glenner GG (1972) Immunoglobulin origin of localized nodular pulmonary amyloidosis. Res Exp Med 159:75–86Google Scholar
- Wright JR, Calkins E, Humphrey RL (1977) Potassium permanganate reaction in amyloidosis. A histologic method to assist in differentiating forms of this disease. Lab Invest 36:274–281Google Scholar