Determination of zinc and lead in additives and additive oils
- 17 Downloads
A rapid method has been developed for determining zinc and lead in additives and additive oils, based on an ion-exchange chromatographic separation of the elements on the polymer Anionit ÉDÉ-10 P, with subsequent complexometric titration of the solutions using xylenol orange indicator.
The method gives good repeatability of results from the lead and zinc determinations; the deviations between parallel determinations are at most 2% (rel.) when the metal content of the sample is above 0.5%. Good reproducibility was obtained when comparing the proposed method with standard gravimetric and ASTM methods. The time required to determine zinc and lead when both are present along with barium, phosphorus, and sulfur is not more than 5–6 h.
The proposed method is recommended for use in scientific research institutes and in plant laboratories.
KeywordsZinc Titration Barium Metal Content Chromatographic Separation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. M. Salldadze, Ion Exchange Resins [in Russian], Izd. AN SSSR, scientific-popular series (1959).Google Scholar
- 2.M. N. Svereva, Zab. labor.,24, No. 4 (1958).Google Scholar
- 3.A. T. Kabakov, Zav. labor.,26, No. 12 (1960).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Kunin and R. J. Myers, Ion Exchange Resins [Russian translation], IL (1960).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Schwartz and J. Perry, Berg J. Surfactants and Detergents [Russian translation], IL (1960).Google Scholar
- 6.A. K. Babko and I. V. Pyatnitskii, Quantitative Analysis [in Russian], Izd. “Vysshaya shkola” (1962).Google Scholar
- 7.Petroleum Products, Method of Determining Ash Content [in Russian],GOST 1461-59 [All-Union State Standard].Google Scholar
- 8.Bertolachchini, Determination of Barium, Calcium, and Zinc in Additive Oils [in Russian], GOSINTI (1958).Google Scholar
- 9.ASTM Standards on Petroleum products and lubricants, 38th Edition, October (1961).Google Scholar
- 10.R. Belcher, A. M. G. McDonald, Talanta, 1, No. 4 (1958), pp. 408–410.Google Scholar
- 11.V. G. Sochevanov, N. V. Shmakova, A. T. Martynov, and G. A. Volkova, Zav. labor.,26, No. 4 (1960).Google Scholar
- 12.Determination of Phosphorus in Additives and Additive Oils [in Russian], GOST 9827-61 [All-Union State Standard].Google Scholar