Effect of metals dissolved in mercury upon the adsorption-induced reduction of strength of zinc
- 24 Downloads
Small additions of cadmium, gallium, indium, thallium, tin, lead and bismuth to mercury increase its surface activity and lead to an additional reduction in the strength of zinc acted upon by liquid mercury.
When indium or gallium are present in high concentrations, the surface activity of the resulting mercury alloys is markedly reduced.
The length of cracks formed when zinc plates are bent in the presence of a locally applied mercury drop increases on alloying mercury with gallium, bismuth, lead or small quantities of indium or thallium; the crack length is reduced when the liquid alloy contains cadmium or tin, or large quantities of indium or thallium.
The addition of various alloying elements to a surface -active melt is an effective means of controlling the mechanical properties of solid metals deformed in contact with such a melt.
KeywordsZinc Indium Mechanical Property Mercury Cadmium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. I. Likhtman, E. D. Shchukin, and P. A. Rebinder, Physicochemical Mechanics of Metals [in Russian], Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1962.Google Scholar
- 2.W. Rostoker, J. M. McCaughey, and H. Markus, Embrittlement by Liquid Metals, [Russian translation], IL, 1962.Google Scholar
- 3.N. K. Adam, Physical Chemistry of Surfaces [Russian translation], Gosteortekhizdat, 1947.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Hansen and K. Anderko, Constitution of Binary Alloys [Russian translation], Metallurgizdat, 1962.Google Scholar
- 5.P. P. Pugachevich, The Technique of Working with Mercury Under Laboratory Conditions [in Russian], Goskhimizdat, 1961.Google Scholar
- 6.N. I. Flegontova, B. D. Summ, and Yu. V. Goryunov, FMM, 18, 724, 1964.Google Scholar
- 7.S. S. Voyupkii, A Course in Colloidal Chemistry [in Russian], Izd. Khimiya, 1964.Google Scholar
- 8.B. A. Drozdovskii and Ya. B. Fridman, Effect of Cracks Upon Mechanical Properties of Steel [in Russian], Izd-vo chernoi i tsvetnoi metallurgii, 1960.Google Scholar
- 9.B. D. Summ, Yu. V. Goryunov, N. V. Pertsov, V. Yu. Traskii, and E. D. Shchukin, FMM, 14, 757, 1962.Google Scholar
- 10.Yu. V. Goryunov, N. V. Pertsov, B. D. Summ, and E. D. Shchukin, DAN SSSR, 146, 638, 1962.Google Scholar
- 11.E. D. Shchukin, Yu. V. Goryunov, G. I. Den'shchikova, N. V. Pertsov, and B. D. Summ, Kolloidnyi zhurnal, 108, 25, 1963.Google Scholar