General flat four-dimensional world pictures and clock systems
- 42 Downloads
We explore the mathematical structure and the physical implications of a general four-dimensional symmetry framework which is consistent with the Poincaré—Einstein principle of relativity for physical laws and with experiments. In particular, we discuss a four-dimensional framework in which all observers in different frames use one and the same grid of clocks. The general framework includes special relativity and a recently proposed new four-dimensional symmetry with a nonuniversal light speed as two special simple cases. The connection between the properties of light propagation and the convention concerning clock systems is also discussed, and is seen to be nonunique within the four-dimensional framework.
KeywordsGeneral Framework Special Relativity Mathematical Structure Light Propagation Clock System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. P. Hsu,Found. Phys. 6, 317 (1976);7, 205 (1977), and in preparation.Google Scholar
- 2.A. P. French,Special Relativity (W. W. Norton, New York, 1968), pp. 36–56, 70–73.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Reichenbach,The Philosophy of Space and Time (Dover, New York, 1958); A. Grünbaum,Philosophical Problems of Space and Time (Knopf, New York, 1963).Google Scholar
- 4.J. A. Winnie,Phil. Sci. 37, 81, 223 (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.J. P. Hsu,Found. Phys. 8, 371 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.C. B. Chiu, J. P. Hsu, and T. N. Sherry, CPT prep. ORO 292 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.E. U. Condon and H. Odishaw,Handbook of Physics (McGraw-Hill, 1967), pp. 6–165.Google Scholar
- 8.J. P. Hsu,Phys. Rev. Lett. 36, 646, 1515 (1976);Phys. Rev. D 8, 2609 (1973);9, 1113 (1974);10, 3836 (1974).Google Scholar
- 9.J. P. Hsu and J. A. Underwood,Phys. Rev. D 12, 620 (1975);15, 1668 (1977).Google Scholar
- 10.H. Poincaré,Science and Hypothesis (Dover, New York, 1902 reprint), p. xxii;Arch. Neerl. 5, 252 (1990);Bull. Sci. Math. 28, 306 (1904).Google Scholar
- 11.J. P. Hsu and T. N. Sherry,Found. Phys. 8, 609 (1978).Google Scholar