Effect of grain size on creep of Ti-53.4mol%Al intermetallics at 1100 K
- 44 Downloads
Constant stress creep under compression stress, 100 to 316 MPa, at 1100 K was investigated on single-phase TiAl intermetallics. The material was ingot-cast, isothermally forged, and then annealed to produce stable equi-axed grain structures, whose average grain diameters were 25, 42 and 70μm. Creep curves were very similar among the three specimens with different grain diameters and the creep rates at a given strain, as well as the minimum creep rates, depended little on grain size. Two regimes were observed on the stress dependence of the minimum creep rate. The stress exponent under high stresses was about 4.5, independent of grain size. Under stresses lower than about 150 MPa it became about 8.
KeywordsPolymer Grain Size Compression Stress High Stress Creep Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. J. Blackburn andM. P. Smith, US Pat. 429 615, 13 October (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.H. A. Lipsitt, in “High-Temperature Ordered Intermetallic Alloys”, edited by C. C. Koch, C. T. Liu and N. S. Stoloff (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, 1985) p. 351.Google Scholar
- 3.H. A. Lipsitt, D. Shechtman andR. E. Schafrik,Metall. Trans. 6A (1975) 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Nobuki, K. Hashimoto, T. Tsujimoto andY. Asai,Nippon Kinzoku Gakkai-shi (J. Jpn. Inst. Met.)50 (1986) 840.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Mitao, Y. Kohsaka andC. Ouchi, in “THER-MEC-88”, edited by I. Tamura (Iron Steel Institute Japan, Tokyo, 1988) p. 620.Google Scholar
- 6.P. L. Martin, M. G. Mendiratta andH. A. Lipsitt,Metall. Trans. 14A (1983) 2170.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Takahashi, H. Nagai andH. Oikawa,Nippon Kinzoku Gakkai-shi (J. Jpn Inst. Met.) 53 (1989) 471.Google Scholar
- 8.Idem, Mater. Sci. Engng. A114 (1989) 13.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Oikawa andT. G. Langdon, in “Creep Behaviour of Crystalline Solids”, edited by B. Wilshire and R. W. Evans (Pineridge Press, Swansea, 1985) p. 33.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Sato andH. Oikawa,Scripta Metall. 22 (1988) 87.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Nanba andH. Oikawa,Mater Sci. Engng. A 101 (1988) 31.Google Scholar