Initial treatment decisions by level of care for youth in the CHAMPUS Tidewater Demonstration
- 22 Downloads
Over a three-year span, the level of care initially provided to children and adolescents receiving mental health services under a CHAMPUS Demonstration in the Tidewater area of Virginia shifted dramatically to less restrictive and less expensive settings, consistent with national policy. Issues about the quality of care under this cost containment model (which includes fiscal incentives for the contractor) are explored; criteria for placement decisions require further attention.
KeywordsPublic Health Mental Health Health Service Treatment Decision Mental Health Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burns, B.J. (1991). Mental health service use by adolescents in the 1970s and 1980s.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 30, 144–150.Google Scholar
- Burns, B.J., & NIMH. (1990). [1986 sample survey data analyzed by first author]. Unpublished data.Google Scholar
- Burns, B.J., Smith, J., Goldman, H.H., Barth, L.E., & Coulam, R.F. (1989). The CHAMPUS/Tidewater Demonstration Project. In D. Mechanic & L. Aiken (Eds.),Paying for Services: Promises and Pitfalls of Capitation: No. 43 New Directions for Mental Health Services (pp. 77–86). San Francisco: Jossey Bass.Google Scholar
- Costello, E.J. (1989). Developments in child psychiatric epidemiology.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 836–841.Google Scholar
- Endicott, J., Spitzer, R.L., Fleiss, J.L., & Cohen, J. (1976). The Global Assessment Scale.Archives of General Psychiatry, 33, 766–771.Google Scholar
- Friedman, R.M., & Street, S. (1985). Admission and discharge criteria in children's mental health services: Review of the issues and options.Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 14, 229–235.Google Scholar
- Keyes, M., Tudor, C., Milstein, A., & Berlant, J. (1990).CPA quality monitoring services for CHAMPUS (Draft Comprehensive Report, Year 3). Submitted to: Department of Defense, January 29, 1990.Google Scholar
- Knitzer, J. (1982).Unclaimed children. Washington, DC: Children's Defense Fund.Google Scholar
- Stroul, B.A., & Friedman, R.M. (1986).A system of care for severely emotionally disturbed children and youth. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Child Development Center, CASSP Technical Assistance Center.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J.W., Rosenstein, M.J., Milazzo-Sayre, L.J., & MacAskill, R.L. (1986). Psychiatric services to adolescents: 1970–1980.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 37, 584–590.Google Scholar