Structure and mechanical properties of beryllium — Chromium alloys
- 19 Downloads
In Be-Cr alloys in equilibrium with phase based on beryllium there is a phase based on CrBe12, which is formed by the peritectic reaction: L+CrBe2⇌CrBe12. The composition of the compound is evidently close to the composition at the peritectic point on the phase diagram.
The position of the eutectic point on the phase diagram was determined more precisely from the beryllium side. Eutectic solidification occurs at 1240+10° in the alloy containing 13.8% Cr.
Binary beryllium alloys containing up to 13% Cr have relatively low strength, not exceeding 10–11.6 kgf/mm2. When nickel or vanadium is added to the alloy of beryllium with chromium the strength rises to 14–17 kgf/mm2. The ductility of these alloys is low.
KeywordsMechanical Property Nickel Chromium Phase Diagram Vanadium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Edwards and S. Johnstone, J. Inst. Met.,84, No. 8, 313 (1955–1956).Google Scholar
- 2.L. Misch, Metalwirtschaft.,15, No. 7, 163 (1936).Google Scholar
- 3.M. I. Zakharova and P. I. Dal'nov, "The structure of Be-Cr compounds", Zh. Tekh. Fiz.,8, No. 3, 252 (1938).Google Scholar
- 4.E. E. Cherkashin et al., "X-ray analysis of several systems of transition metals," Zh. Neorg. Khim.,3, No. 3, 650 (1958).Google Scholar
- 5.P. I. Kripyakevich and E. I. Gladyshevskii, "Crystal structure of CrBe12, VBe12, and NbBe12," Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,104, No. 1, 82 (1955).Google Scholar
- 6.P. I. Kripyakevich and E. I. Gladyshevskii, "X-ray analysis of a Cr-Be alloy with a high beryllium content," in: Reports of Lvov State Univ. [in Russian], Vol. 7, No. 3 (1957), p. 183.Google Scholar
- 7.E. E. Cherkashin, E. I. Gladyshevskii, and P. I. Kripyakevich, "Compounds of transition metals with beryllium, silicon, germanium, and tin," in: Reports of Lvov State Univ. [in Russian], Vol. 1, No. 3 (1957), p. 180.Google Scholar
- 8.F. Batchelder and R. Raeuchale, Acta Cryst.,10, 648 (1957).Google Scholar
- 9.S. Gelles et al., Inst. of Metals Conference on Metallurgy of Beryllium, London (1961).Google Scholar
- 10.R. P. Elliot, Structures of Binary Alloys [Russian translation], Vol. 1, Metallurgiya, Moscow (1970), p. 181.Google Scholar