From 1987 to 1991, we performed intraoperative colonoscopy on 66 patients as a result of the following indications: the air leakage test (53%), detection of a previous malignant polypectomy site (20%), inability to complete preoperative colonoscopy (17%), detection of the source of intestinal bleeding (4%), and detection of impalpable colonic lesions (4%).
Intraoperative colonoscopy was successful in 61/66 patients and provided information that altered the planned operation in 10 of 61 completely examined patients. The air leakage test proved useful in detecting subclinical anastomotic leaks.
The indications for intraoperative colonoscopy have been expanded, and this procedure is often useful when one is attempting to decide on the appropriate surgical strategy for patients.
Key wordsIntraoperative colonoscopy Large intestine Colorectal surgery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beard JD, Nicholson ML, Sayers RD, Lloyd D, Everson NW (1990) Intraoperative air testing of colorectal anastomoses: a prospective randomized trial. Br J Surg 77: 1095–1097Google Scholar
- 2.Cohen J, Forde KA (1988) Intraoperative colonoscopy. Ann Surg 207: 231–233Google Scholar
- 3.Espiner HJ, Salmon PR, Teague RH, Read AE (1973) Operative colonoscopy. Br Med J 1: 453–454Google Scholar
- 4.Gilbert JM, Trapnell JE (1988) Intraoperative testing of the integrity of left-sided colorectal anastomoses: a technique of value to the surgeon in training. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 70: 158–160Google Scholar
- 5.Kaibara N, Kimura O, Nishidoi H, Miyano Y, Koga S (1982) Intraoperative colonoscopy for the diagnosis of multiple cancers of the large intestine. Jpn J Surg 12: 117–121Google Scholar
- 6.Kanazawa T, Tanaka M (1965) Endoscopy of the colon. Gastroenterol Endosc 7: 398–400Google Scholar
- 7.Kremen AJ (1945) Acute colonic obstruction secondary to carcinoma of the sigmoid colon with gangrene of an extensive segment of the large bowel. Surgery 18: 335–338Google Scholar
- 8.Kusunoki M, Sakanoue Y, Yanagi H, Utsunomiya J (1991) Intraoperative air testing of colorectal anastomoses. Br J Surg 78: 249Google Scholar
- 9.Martin PG, Forde KA (1979) Intraoperative colonoscopy. Dis Colon Rectum 22: 234–236Google Scholar
- 10.Oshiba S, Watanabe A (1965) Endoscopy of the colon. Gastroenterol Endosc 7: 400–404Google Scholar
- 11.Richter RM, Littman L, Levowitz BS (1973) Intraoperative fiberoptic colonoscopy. Arch Surg 106: 228Google Scholar
- 12.Sakanoue Y, Kusunoki M, Shoji Y, Yamamura T, Utsunomiya J (1990) The efficacy of whole gut irrigation with polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution in elective colorectal surgery for cancer. Acta Chir Scand 156: 463–466Google Scholar
- 13.Scott HJ, Lane IF, Glynn MJ, Theodorou NA, Pavies EL, Reynolds KW, Parkins RA (1986) Colonic hemorrhage: a technique for rapid intraoperative bowel preparation and colonoscopy. Br J Surg 73: 390–391Google Scholar
- 14.Whelan RL, Buls JG, Goldberg SM, Rothenberger DA (1989) Intraoperative endoscopy. Am Surg 55: 281–286Google Scholar