Undifferentiated thyroid tumors of diffuse small cell type
- 16 Downloads
A histological review of 72 undifferentiated thyroid tumors was performed in order to discover small cell anaplastic carcinomas and Non-Hodgkin lymphomas. Cases suspected to be lymphoma were examined for the presence of Ig and keratin and lectins with a PAP-procedure.
Among the 72 cases, 68 (94,5%) were anaplastic carcinomas of various types. Four cases (5,5%) were diffuse small cell tumors, which had previously been regarded as anaplastic carcinomas. All four could be identified as Non-Hodgkin lymphomas by histology, immunohistochemistry, repeat biopsy or autopsy.
The findings suggest that- the majority of small cell anaplastic thyroid tumors are lymphomas and that true anaplastic small cell carcinoma of the thyroid must be extremely rare. Its diagnosis requires electronmicroscopy and/or immunohistochemistry to demonstrate the epithelial nature of tumor cells.
Key wordsThyroid neoplasms Undifferentiated carcinomas Lymphomas
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aldinger KA, Samaan NA, Ibanez M, Hill CS (1978) Anaplastic carcinoma of the thyroid. A review of 84 cases of spindle and giant cell carcinoma of the thyroid. Cancer 41:2267–2275Google Scholar
- Burke JS, Butler JJ, Fuller LM (1977) Malignant lymphomas of the thyroid. A clinical pathologic study of 35 patients including ultrastructural observations. Cancer 39:1587–1601Google Scholar
- Cameron RG, Seemayer TA, Wang NS, Ahmed MN, Tabah EJ (1975) Small cell malignant tumors of the thyroid. A light and electron microscopic study. Hum Pathol 6:731–740Google Scholar
- Chak LY, Hoppe RT, Burke JS, Kaplan HS (1981) Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma presenting as thyroid enlargement. Cancer 48:2712–2716Google Scholar
- Compagno J, Oertel JE (1980) Malignant lymphoma and other lymphoproliferative disorders of the thyroid gland. A clinicopathologic study of 245 cases. Am J Clin Pathol 74:1–11Google Scholar
- Egloff B (1977) Nicht- epitheliale Geschwülste der Schilddrüse. Verh Dtsch Ges Pathol 61:209–223Google Scholar
- Hedinger C, Sobin L (1974) Histological typing to thyroid tumors. International histological classification of tumors No. 11. Geneva: World Health Organization 1974Google Scholar
- Heimann R, Vannineuse A, de Sloover C, Dor P (1978) Malignant lymphomas and undifferentiated small cell carcinoma of the thyroid: a clinicopathological review in the light of the Kiel classification for malignant lymphomas. Histopathology 2:201–313Google Scholar
- Knecht H, Saremaslani P, Hedinger C (1981) Immunohistological findings in Hashimoto's thyroiditis, focal lymphocytic thyroiditis and thyroiditis de Quervain. Comparative study. Virchows Arch [Pathol Anat] 393:215–231Google Scholar
- Lennert K (1978) Malignant lymphomas other than Hodgkin's disease. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Lukes RJ, Parker JW, Taylor CR, Tindle BH, Cramer AD, Lincoln TL (1978) Immunologic approach to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and related leukemias. An analysis of the results of multiparameter studies of 425 cases. Semin Hematol 15:322–351Google Scholar
- Macaulay RAA, Dewar AE, Langlands AO, Stuart AE (1978) Cell receptor studies on six anaplastic tumours of the thyroid. J Clin Pathol 31:461–468Google Scholar
- Maurer R, Taylor CR, Terry R, Lukes RJ (1979) Non-Hodgkin lymphomas of the thyroid. A clinico-pathological review of 29 cases applying the Lukes-Collins classification and an immunoperoxidase method. Virchows Arch [Pathol Anat] 383:293–317Google Scholar
- Maurer R, Taylor CR, Parker JW, Cramer A, Lukes RJ (1982) Immunoblastic sarcoma: Morphologic criteria and the distinction of B and T cell types. Oncology 39:42–50Google Scholar
- Meissner WA, Phillips MJ (1962) Diffuse small-cell carcinoma of the thyroid. Arch Pathol Lab Med 74:291–297Google Scholar
- Meissner WA, Warren J (1969) Tumors of the thyroid gland. Atlas of tumor pathology, 2nd series, Fasc. 4, Washington: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 121–123Google Scholar
- Neracher H, Hedinger C (1975) Klassifizierung der Schilddrüsenmalignome nach der Nomenklatur der WHO 1974. Schweiz Med Wochenschr 105:1000–1036Google Scholar
- Rayfield EJ, Nishiyama RH, Sisson JC (1971) Small cell tumors of the thyroid. A clinicopathologic study. Cancer 28:1023–1030Google Scholar
- Saito R, Sharma K (1975) Fine structure of a diffuse undifferentiated small-cell carcinoma of the thyroid. Am J Clin Pathol 65:623–630Google Scholar
- Schwarze EW, Papadimitriou CS (1980) Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the thyroid. Pathol Res Pract 167:346–362Google Scholar
- Schwechheimer K, Weiss G, Schnabel P, Möller P (1984) Lectin target cells in human central nervous system and the pituitary gland. Histochemistry 80:165–169Google Scholar
- Williams ED (1981) Malignant lymphoma of the thyroid. Clin Endocrinol Metab 10:379–389Google Scholar