Glycosylation of the thrombin-like serine protease ancrod fromAgkistrodon rhodostoma venom. Oligosaccharide substitution pattern at eachN-glycosylation site
- 40 Downloads
In a previous study, we determined the structures of the glycans present in ancrod, a thrombin-like serine protease from the venom of the Malayan pit viperAgkistrodon rhodostoma (Pfeifferet al. (1992)Eur J Biochem205:961–78). In order to allocate the various carbohydrate chains to distinctN-glycosylation sites of the molecule, we have now isolated individual glycopeptides. Peptide moieties were identified after deglycosylation with peptide-N4-(N-acetyl-β-glucosaminyl)asparagine amidase F by amino acid analysis and sequencing. Liberated oligosaccharides were assigned to the previously deduced carbohydrate structures by high performance liquid chromatography. Although only quantitative differences were observed, the results indicate that each glycosylation site of ancrod carries its characteristic oligosaccharide pattern. Furthermore, all potential sites were shown to be substituted by carbohydrates.
Keywordsglycoprotein glycopeptides N-linked oligosaccharides snake venom
high pH anion exchange HPLC
reversed phase HPLC
peptide-N4-(N-acetyl-β-glucosaminyl)asparagine amidase F
pulsed amperometric detection.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Seegers WH, Ouyang C (1979) inSnake Venoms (Lee C-Y, ed.), 684–750. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 2.Pirkle H, Stocker K (1991)Thromb Haemostasis 65:444–50.Google Scholar
- 3.Pfeiffer G, Dabrowski U, Dabrowski J, Stirm S, Strube K-H, Geyer R (1992)Eur J Biochem 205:961–78.Google Scholar
- 4.Bach A, Strube K-H, Koerwer W (1990) International patent application WO 90/06362, reference number PCT/EP 89/01427.Google Scholar
- 5.Laemmli UK (1970)Nature 227:680–85.Google Scholar
- 6.Schlüter M, Linder D, Geyer R (1985)Carbohydr Res 138:305–14.Google Scholar
- 7.Linder M, Linder D, Hahnen J, Schott H-H, Stirm S (1992)Eur J Biochem 203:65–73.Google Scholar
- 8.Geyer R, Geyer H, Kühnhardt S, Mink W, Stirm S (1983)Anal Biochem 133:197–207.Google Scholar
- 9.Strube K-H, Schott H-H, Geyer R (1988)J Biol Chem 263:3762–71.Google Scholar
- 10.Pfeiffer G, Schmidt M, Strube K-H, Geyer R (1989)Eur J Biochem 186:273–86.Google Scholar
- 11.Pfeiffer G, Geyer H, Geyer R, Kalsner I, Wendorf P (1990)Biomed Chromatogr 4:193–99.Google Scholar
- 12.His CHW (1967)Methods Enzymol 11:199–206.Google Scholar