Effect of dynamic training on the isometric endurance of the elbow flexors
- 53 Downloads
Nine physiotherapists took part in a training programme of 100 dynamic contractions of the left elbow flexors a day. The load was 60% of 1 RM, the frequency 28 per minute, and the training period 6 weeks. Before and after the training period the dynamic strength, the dynamic endurance, and the isometric endurance were tested.
The training resulted in a moderate increase in dynamic, strength, an enormous increase in dynamic endurance, but no increase in isometric endurance.
The results are discussed.
KeywordsTraining Programme Human Physiology Sport Medicine Training Period Moderate Increase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bonde Petersen, F., H. Graudal, J. W. Hansen, andN. Hvis: The effect of varying the number of muscle contractions on dynamic muscle training. Int. Z. angew. Physiol.18, 468–473 (1961).Google Scholar
- de Lorme, T. L.: Restoration of muscle power by heavy resistance exercises. J. Bone Jt Surg.27, 645–667 (1945).Google Scholar
- Hansen, J. W.: The training effect of dynamic maximal resistence exercises. Int. Z. angew. Physiol.19, 420–424 (1963).Google Scholar
- —: The training effect of repeated isometric muscle contractions. Int. Z. angew. Physiol.18, 474–477 (1961).Google Scholar
- —: The effect of sustained isometric muscle contraction on various muscle functions. Int. Z. angew. Physiol.18, 474–477 (1962).Google Scholar
- Hellebrandt, F. A.: Application of the overload principle to muscle training in man. Amer. J. phys. Med.37, 278–283 (1958).Google Scholar
- Maison, G. L., andA. G. Broeker: Training in human muscles working with and without blood supply. Amer. J. Physiol.132, 390 (1941).Google Scholar
- Petréu, T., T. Sjøstrand u.B. Sylvén: Int. Z. angew. Physiol.9, 376–386 (1936).Google Scholar
- Rasch, P. J., andW. R. Pierson: Isotonic training and isometric strength. J. Peroep. Mot. Skills.16, 229–230 (1963).Google Scholar
- —, andL. E. Morehouse: Effect of static and dynamic exercises on muscular strength and hypertrophy. J. appl. Physiol.11, 29–34 (1957).Google Scholar
- Royce, J.: Isometric fatigue curves in human muscle with normal and occluded circulation. Rese. Quart. Amer. Ass. Hlth phys. Educ.29, 204–212 (1958).Google Scholar
- Start, K. B., andR. Holmes: Local muscle endurance with open and occluded intramuscular circulation. J. appl. Physiol.18, 804–808 (1963).Google Scholar
- Walters, C., Chad, L. Stewart, andJ. F. le Claire: Effect of short bouts of isometric and isotonic contractions on muscular strength and endurance. Amer. J. phys. Med.39, 131–141 (1960).Google Scholar