“Blue silver”: transformation of clusters and metal coagulation
- 33 Downloads
The formation and transformations of “blue silver” (λmax ≳ 700 nm) during γ-irradiation of a weakly alkaline (pH 9) aqueous solution containing AgClO4, polyacrylic acid (PAA), and isopropanol were studied. We believe that “blue silver” is a linear silver cluster stabilized on a polymeric molecule. During radiation-chemical reduction the cluster is transformed into new clusters (λmax = 365 and 460 nm). When all of the Ag+ ions present in the solution have been reduced, clusters coalesce and a new phase,i.e., colloidal silver particles, forms. The mechanism of the radiation-chemical transformations is discussed.
Key words“blue silver”, clusters sols, coagulation γ-irradiation, radiation-chemical transformations reduction, mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Henglein, P. Mulvaney, and T. Linnert,Faraday Discuss., 1991,92, 31.Google Scholar
- 2.D. C. Skillman and C. R. Berry,J. Chem. Phys., 1968,48, 3297.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Mostafavi, N. Keghouche, and M.-O. Delcourt,Chem. Phys. Lett., 1990,169, 81.Google Scholar
- 4.B. G. Ershov,Usp. Khim., 1981,50, 2137 [Russ. Chem. Rev., 1981,50 (Engl. Transl.)].Google Scholar
- 5.E. A. Bekturov and Z. Kh. Bakauova, inSinteticheskie vodorastvorimye polimery v rastvorakh [Synthetic Water-Soluble Polymers in Solutions], Nauka, Alma-Ata, 1981 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 6.B. G. Ershov, E. Janata, A. Henglein, and A. Fojtic,J. Phys. Chem., 1993,97, 4589.Google Scholar
- 7.B. G. Ershov, E. Janata, and A. Hengiein,J. Phys. Chem., 1993,97, 339.Google Scholar